Is there any app to split audio files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kmahesh

There are tonnes of s/w to do splitting for MP3, .WAV etc. I searched the net but couldnt find one. Are there any such tools for Mac?

Thanks

Mahesh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Wouldn't Garageband do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yes , garage band does, if you need even splits, like all the same length, xmp3split is good.
quicktime pro can also do this.

OP
K

kmahesh

Ok - some update. After looking at the real need, I need some tools to do one of the following:

(1) WAV to MP3
(2) AAC to MP3

Garageband - I never used this app - I tried to use but couldnt go anywhere. Anyway I am stuck with the first step of not being able to convert WAV/AAC to MP3.

Mahesh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
kmahesh said:
Ok - some update. After looking at the real need, I need some tools to do one of the following:

(1) WAV to MP3
(2) AAC to MP3

Garageband - I never used this app - I tried to use but couldnt go anywhere. Anyway I am stuck with the first step of not being able to convert WAV/AAC to MP3.

Mahesh

If you are looking to convert file types you can try SoundConverter
You can also use iTunes to convert AAC to MP3.
As far as splitting files, you may want to look at SoundStudio. That link will take to a trial download, but it is worth the purchase if you intend on using it quite often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
one word, itunes.;)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Macman said:
one word, itunes.;)

Good one. Who would have thought, it was that simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, all part of the ease of use built into mac os x.;)

OP
K

kmahesh

D3v1L80Y said:
If you are looking to convert file types you can try SoundConverter
You can also use iTunes to convert AAC to MP3.
As far as splitting files, you may want to look at SoundStudio. That link will take to a trial download, but it is worth the purchase if you intend on using it quite often.
Thanks for pointing me to these two good tools. Looks exactly like what I was looking....

OP
K

kmahesh

Macman said:
one word, itunes.;)
Macman - I dont think I understood your response. ARe you saying that iTunes could do all these (or) stick with iTunes?

Anyway, this is my situation. I record an event via my Tungsten T PDA, which stores in WAV file. When I bring it into iTunes it is brought as-is or you could convert to AAC. From there, i need to break that huge voice file into pieces. That is why I was looking for splitter. Once it is split, I want to burn them in CDs to share with the participants of the event.

Looks like the two tools recommended are great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
itunes can open and convert wav, mp3, aac, and other formats, you can also use it to trim tracks, I'm at school no, but I can post how later when I'm home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Just hit Apple + , to bring up the iTunes preference dialogue and under 'importing' select the encoder you want to use.
Then select the file you wish to convert (in your iTunes library) and select 'Advanced->Convert selection to "whatever"'

This will convert the wav into whatever format you want it to. (You can select multiple files too - very handy)
Then open the files in xmp3split or mp3trimmer (if you are using mp3's) and split them into sizes convenient for you.

Quick question: Since you say you want to burn the files to CD, are you splitting them because the audio documents are too long for one CD?

If that is the case you can just burn the file with iTunes, which will automatically split the audio file and burn it over multiple disks if it is too long for 1 CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, if they're tracks that are too long for one disc, do it as apt munich has above, either that or use an above mentioned app, if they're normal length tracks, and you just want to trim part of them off, the way t do it in itunes, which doesn't really trim them, its more of a work around I guess.
listen to the track first and note at what time into the song you want it to start/stop, select the track in your itunes library, click File>Get info, in the window that comes up, click options, then select at what point the track will start and end.

OP
K

kmahesh

Macman said:
ok, if they're tracks that are too long for one disc, do it as apt munich has above, either that or use an above mentioned app, if they're normal length tracks, and you just want to trim part of them off, the way t do it in itunes, which doesn't really trim them, its more of a work around I guess.
listen to the track first and note at what time into the song you want it to start/stop, select the track in your itunes library, click File>Get info, in the window that comes up, click options, then select at what point the track will start and end.

Thanks to both of you for the tips. (1) I didnt know that iTunes can convert files to MP3. From "Aptmunich"'s info, it looks like we could do that. I will try that out. (2) I need to split each file based on the content and not by fixed time or anything. So those trimming tools would fit the bill.

Thanks again for being so helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.