grayed but not gone

Reaction score
Sometimes Mail does not let me delete. The file may just gray out. Opening Mail later displays the file as if it were never deleted. I have tried "Move to Trash." Doesn't work. I now have dozens of old, unsuccessfully deleted files in my In Box. I Tried to trash the Mail Application and reinstall it from the original disk. When I try to open the reinstalled Mail I get a dialog box "You can not use this version of the application Mail with this version of Mac OS X. So I downloaded the Mail Update 1.0 from Apple (not knowing if it will fix my problem of not). When I try to install this upgrade I get "You cannot install Mail Update on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." I am using Mail 3.6 (936) on OS 10.5.8, installed together off original disk. Have installed all OS upgrades as they pop up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Not sure where u are at but try these 2 steps. Double click on each of the greyed email files which should then open them and give u the choice to delete them and also download and run Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update which should give you the latest apps and reset your upgrade attempts. Not sure which order you should try these - your call.

OP
joehill1715
Reaction score
no banana

Thanks for your suggestion, Collin. I did the delete (button, edit menu, and right click-send to trash) both opened and as an unopened item in the In Box list; I also downloaded and installed the OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update, even though the docs for the update said it was for OS X 10.5 - OS X 10.5.7 and I was already using 10.5.8, and the update didn't mention specify any Mail fixes. I did it anyway. Same-O, Same-O. Then I did the delete routine again, as above, after the update. Again. No bananas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
OK how about Rebuild in the Mailbox drop down - see if that helps. As u probably have guessed i am running out of ideas.

OP
joehill1715
Reaction score
pref's worked

The Rebuild option was grayed, so I couldn't try that. Here's what did work: Mail/Preferences/Accounts/Mailbox Behaviors - unchecked the "Notes" and "Trash" option for each account. I'll try adding the options back one at a time to see which one was the culprit. Thanks again for your response.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.