MBP hangs very often

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 17" 2.3 GHZ, 3 GB ram + 2 other MBP:s
Hi!
I switched to mac like 2 weeks ago. Now I have a 17" MBP and it is very nice and all BUT it hangs like 10 times a day and I don't know what to do. I force a shutdown by pressing the pwr button like 10 seconds and then rebooting. The rebooting then takes like 1-2 minutes.

I thought macs didn't hang that easily, I am almost ready to go mac to pc if I can't find a solution to this. Is there anything else I can do than force a shutdown? Is it common that macbooks hang?

/John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
I have never heard of this happening before with macs. Has this been happening constantly for the two weeks you've had it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Hi!
I switched to mac like 2 weeks ago. Now I have a 17" MBP and it is very nice and all BUT it hangs like 10 times a day and I don't know what to do. I force a shutdown by pressing the pwr button like 10 seconds and then rebooting. The rebooting then takes like 1-2 minutes.

I thought macs didn't hang that easily, I am almost ready to go mac to pc if I can't find a solution to this. Is there anything else I can do than force a shutdown? Is it common that macbooks hang?

/John

Bring it in to the Apple store.
A mac that is two weeks old should NOT be doing this. This shouldn't even happen to a mac that is a few years old.
Likely, there is something wrong with your laptop. They will either fix it for free or give you a brand new one. =D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Yes, I agree with alexsd, take it to an Apple store or call the helpline for apple if your not close to one, sounds like you may have some bad hardware. Apple is really good for warranty so i'd take it back pronto!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 17" 2.3 GHZ, 3 GB ram + 2 other MBP:s
Ok, I will try to, but this one is in fact not new. I bought it from the Swedish equivalence of ebay. The MPB in the mint condition, everything is perfect eccept this. It has not been happening all the time, just the last 4 days or so. I will try to contact an apple store but I have no papers on this one so it might be hard...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
if it's not under warranty that may cause problems. If it's not new, there's a variety of things you can do. A) what % of your hard disk space is free? B) have you ever tried to repair permissions?

Let's troubleshoot for him guys, it's been used before, and we all know how "great" auction sites are.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It should also be mentioned that force powering down any computer will likely compound the existing issue by further corrupting the filesystem.

In my experience frequent hangs are related to failing hard drives, bad memory, or filesystem problems.

The first thing I would recommend is to run the Apple Hardware Test - although the results are not always 100% reliable, it might give us some preliminary insight into the problem.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.