finally decide that i am going to get imac

Reaction score
First thanks for looking my thread.
i finally decide that i am going to get imac.
24" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 130,

but i still need some advise from you.

Where did you purchase MAC?
there is many ebay store selling sealed box brand new mac and open box brand new mac and some of them are used.
i was going to buy it on ebay so i can save some money..what do you think?

do you think Apple Care is worthy to buy?

and i notice that i can install window xp on MAC.
do you recommend to do that? is there any problem? if it is work fine both way, i really love to install window xp too.

thanks guys..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
MAC means media access control...
Mac is a computer.

But why not buy it from the Apple store and have them ship it to you?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
there is many ebay store selling sealed box brand new mac and open box brand new mac and some of them are used.

I recommend you NOT purchase from eBay. Yes, you can get a great deal there but you also can get taken. Big problems arise if you have to return an item - of course that depends on the seller.

Buying from a local Apple store is best or, from Apple on line.

do you recommend to do that? is there any problem? if it is work fine both way, i really love to install window xp too.

Apple care is up to you. It's like buying an insurance policy - maybe you'll never need it, and then again, maybe you will. You need to decide.

And yes, you can run Windows XP, Vista, and even Win 7 on a Mac. Windows will run natively on a Mac using Boot Camp. Great for games and Windows programs that are not readily available for OS X.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24"; 2.93GHz; 4GB mem; 640GB HD; iPod Movie 5G; iPod Touch 4G 64gb
Although you can run Windows on the Mac, do you open yourself up for more potential virus and spam problems by putting the windows program on the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yes. Everything that can happen on windows on any other hardware can happen on the Mac's hardware. Your OS X partition should remain unaffected, but that is assuming that nothing causes the hardware to damage itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
I would not buy from ebay. If you want to save a couple bucks buy a refurb from apple. If you have no retailer close to you I would buy only from apple. I never buy extended warranties. I will never put windows on my mac. I will never touch windows again. Remember you still get a one year warranty. You can buy the extended warranty anytime within that first year. Finally, that is one heck of a machine.

Reaction score
You can save a couple hundred bucks off retail by buying on Amazon.com and no tax which is another few hundred dollars.

Amazon.com: Apple Mac Pro MB535LL/A Desktop: Electronics

Amazon is a very reputable retailer and stands behind their sales and cares about customer satisfaction.

I have had my new Mac Pro a week today and what I saved on tax and the discount allowed me to upgrade my memory from 6gb to 16gb and FREE two day shipping?? Gotta love it! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac MA876LL/A
Win XP on iMac

First thanks for looking my thread.
i finally decide that i am going to get imac.
24" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 130,

but i still need some advise from you.

thanks guys..

Yes! You have two choices of installing Win XP on your iMac! Either 'Boot Camp' by dividing your HDD into more partitions (see your documentation) or make a 'virtual machine' on your iMac by using a program such as 'VMWare Fusion2' (which is what I am doing). I am convinced that using VMFusion 2 is the better method!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Virtual Machines work better for me, since they don't require "formatting" your drive. For those who don't wish to pay for software to do a VM, you can always use VirtualBox. It's pretty decent!

Reaction score
Go look at someplace like Fry's. Ebay is ok to buy used older Macs that you know how to fix can be a deal. Something brand new I would find a store that carries Mac products or from Apple itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.