iPhoto Question

Reaction score
Could anyone provide instructions on how to resize a photo in the iPhoto program ? I would like to make them small enough to attach to email. I have spent several hours trying to learn this new program (new for me), importing, events, captioning, etc, but am unable to figure out how to resize.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It's easy if you are using Apple Mail. Just select the pictures you want in iPhoto and click on the Mail icon at the bottom right of the window. A dialog will open asking you what size you want the pictures to be. Choose your size and hit OK, and the pictures will be automatically resized to your specifications in a new blank email message.

Or you can drag the photos from iPhoto into a Mail message and choose a size from the bottom of the message window.

Or you can open a new Mail message and click the Photo Browser button on the top right which will allow you to pick photos from iPhoto to include in the message. Then choose a size from the drop down menu at the bottom of the message window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
If you don't want to immediately email the photo, and just want to simply resize the photo, you have to use the 'export' command under the 'file' menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Export gives you a choice of file sizes. Select type (probably .jpg), next option down gievs you a choices of preset sizes.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks ! I figured there would be a way, and knowing MAC, that way would be user friendly. I appreciate your guidance.
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
And don't forget Preview - very handy app and u not only get size choices but all these formats as well;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MBP 13"
Export gives you a choice of file sizes. Select type (probably .jpg), next option down gievs you a choices of preset sizes.

Doh, I didn't know about this Export function. Wish they had given it a more obvious name, like 'resize' lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
OK,

So I resized a photo and exported it to 'Library".

Now how do I find that photo.?

In 'Finder', 'Library' has many folders, but I cannot locate the photo.

Thanks.

Larry H

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may be asking a question with an obvious answer, but how do I open or view a photo in 'Preview'?

Thanks,

Larry H

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You're making things way too complicated for yourself. Simply drag the photo out of iPhoto onto the desktop and then double click on it and it should automatically open in Preview.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kash,

Thanks for the advice about preview, that works!

Collin Bl,

What program is that screen shot of? My Preview doesn't look like that in OS X 10.6.2.

Thanks,

Larry H

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Looks like Tiger or possibly Leopard. Snow Leopard's Preview definitely looks different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OK,

So I resized a photo and exported it to 'Library".

Now how do I find that photo.?

In 'Finder', 'Library' has many folders, but I cannot locate the photo.

Thanks.

Larry H

In finder if you know the name of the .jpg you just resized type that into the box on th top right of the window with the magnifying glass and it should sort through and bring up said .jpg :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.