What is the difference between the 2nd generation Touch and the 3rd generation Touch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4GHz, 160GB, 2GB,SD / Iphone 3Gs 16GB
I am looking to buy a 8GB Apple Touch tomorrow. However, I was wondering if someone could please tell me what the differences are between the 2nd generation Touch and the 3rd generation Touch.

If I decided to get a 2nd generation Touch I was going to order a refurbished model from Apple for $149. I know that the 3rd generation cost about $199. So other than the price, what's the other differences?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
The new iPod Touches have updated hardware (RAM and micro processors)

All the new iPods have iPhone software 3.0 also.

They lowered the price 30 dollars.

I didn't realize they updated the hardware. =D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Not true, the new iPod touches also got the new 3GS hardware, so they really are a third generation.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4GHz, 160GB, 2GB,SD / Iphone 3Gs 16GB
Thanks for all the help.

I checked the Apple website and everything seems the same when comparing the 2nd Gen. Touch with the 3rd Gen Touch. The only difference I noticed is with the 16GB and the 32GB Touch because they both come with the headphones that includes a mic.

But other than that...I think the 8GB's are basically the same.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Humm didn't they make the back more rounded? Plus it has speakers now, so you can hear it without headphones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Humm didn't they make the back more rounded? Plus it has speakers now, so you can hear it without headphones.

They did that with the second gen. First gen didn't have speakers for audio. The second gen they put a better speaker in so you could play media without headphones. The major update to the 3rd gen touch is the upped cpu and gpu support, that's about it. The 32 and 64gb are the only models to get the upgraded specs. The 8gb is still the same as the 2nd gen, nothing has changed except for the sku. So if you want the extra processing power and the open gl, then get the 32 or 64 gig.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.