Disable the ability of browsers to cache my website

Reaction score
I have a website and whenever I make updates to it I am unable to view the changes unless I clear my cache and then go back to the site. So if I am unable to view these updates without clearing my cache I assume everyone else is too. My question is, is there any code or something that disables browsers from being able to cache my website? Or if you have a fix to the problem other than this then that would be great. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
If you use firefox at all you can have it set to clear the cache everytime you close the web browser, seems that safari does not have that option that I can find.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a website and whenever I make updates to it I am unable to view the changes unless I clear my cache and then go back to the site. So if I am unable to view these updates without clearing my cache I assume everyone else is too. My question is, is there any code or something that disables browsers from being able to cache my website? Or if you have a fix to the problem other than this then that would be great. Thanks

I'm not 100% sure...but if you're using Safari, go to the "Safari" drop down menu on the menu bar...and choose "Private Browsing". This may disable caching of webpage info.

You could give it a try...and post back if it works or not.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I'm not 100% sure...but if you're using Safari, go to the "Safari" drop down menu on the menu bar...and choose "Private Browsing". This may disable caching of webpage info.

You could give it a try...and post back if it works or not.

- Nick

I think he wants it to automatically clear so he doesn't always have to do it everytime , Private browsing will not save anything but then again he will always have to use the drop down menu and select private browsing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think he wants it to automatically clear so he doesn't always have to do it everytime , Private browsing will not save anything but then again he will always have to use the drop down menu and select private browsing.

I was thinking that he could choose "private browsing" only when he is doing updates to his website. After his updates are completed, and he's happy with them, then he could "deselect" private browsing.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking that he could choose "private browsing" only when he is doing updates to his website. After his updates are completed, and he's happy with them, then he could "deselect" private browsing.

- Nick

Ah yes that would make alot of sense. Its one extra step BUT that would work just as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I think you want to look into the Expires HTML meta tag. See this page for one explanation and sample.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Tell us what browser you are using.

The browser should automatically fetch the newest copy of the page. There must be a setting you have on your browser that says to only show the cached page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
For firefox and safari, all I have to do is reload the page and the new changes are reflected.

Dunno why yours isn't doing the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.