Open Ports in Snow Leopard

Reaction score
How do you open up an individual port on 10.6 (snow leopard)? In 10.4 all I had to do was go under sharing pref. pane and added an app and typed in the number of that individual port that I wanted to open up. This seems to be missing in 10.6... I can not seem to do this in 10.6 but instead I can make the firewall open to a single app, I would like to know if this is possible.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How do you open up an individual port on 10.6 (snow leopard)? In 10.4 all I had to do was go under sharing pref. pane and added an app and typed in the number of that individual port that I wanted to open up. This seems to be missing in 10.6... I can not seem to do this in 10.6 but instead I can make the firewall open to a single app, I would like to know if this is possible.

The firewall was changed from port-specific to application-specific. So, if you enable a single application, it will be allowed to open any ports it needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac, running Snow Leopard (Upgraded from 17')
When I click on my Security tab, it tells me my firewall is not on, that connections are allowed - however, my NAT firewall test in VUZE tells me it is not. I've done the port forwarding, and set a static IP, but I'm stumped what to do next. IS there a way my firewall could be preventing access??? If it's not on, how do i allow certain programs?? thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm a bit confused here.... You're saying that System Preferences, Security, shows that your Firewall is turned off. But that VUZE says it's on?

Also, need to know which version of OS X you're running? Settings are different for Snow Leopard than from Leopard.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac, running Snow Leopard (Upgraded from 17')
No, VUZE doesn't say it specifically, just that "your port is probably closed"

I just got off the phone with the apple care guy, and the only thing he could think of to do that i hadn't already, was that in my modem/router (Bell 2Wire Gateway) when I added VUZE as an ok program, it says "apply to this computer" and the 'name' of the computer was my OLD mac. He showed me where to find my new mac's name, but of course now i have NO IDEA how to add it / change it in my modem / router, or if that'll even work, but it's something at least! I'll start searching!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I understand. And please, let's keep this limited to one thread. I see you've basically posted the same thing twice in two different threads. Let's close this one and focus on the other. Thanks.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.