airport insufficient

Reaction score
Anybody know what to do? We just bought a powerbook g4 1.0. The airport card doesn't pick up very well even though our imac with airport extreme picks up all bars sitting right next to it. Also, the usb is only first gen so any usb upgrade won't work with a 2.0 usb requirement.
Help! :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
is it built in or a card? i'm not 100% sure on the specs of the powerbook g4's , if its a card i'd just swap it for another one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
if I am reading correctly you have a PowerBook Titanium with usb 1.0?? (just a guess)

These used the original airport cards that you have to take the bottom case off to get to .. it is very possible that the plug is not pushed in all the way causing poor reception..

its only 5 screws if I am remembering correctly but be careful to slide the bottom forward, there are catches that can break by the cd/dvd rom..

Remember the Ti's wifi is only b 11 Mbps... if Im all wrong and you have the aluminum disregard.. but the plug could still be loose..

if its the original AirPort.. I may have one in stock if you want to contact me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anybody know what to do? We just bought a powerbook g4 1.0. The airport card doesn't pick up very well even though our imac with airport extreme picks up all bars sitting right next to it. Also, the usb is only first gen so any usb upgrade won't work with a 2.0 usb requirement.
Help! :[

You must have the Powerbook G4 "Titanium" 1.0ghz...because it's the only 1.0ghz Powerbook G4 that uses the older Airport card. There were 3 other 1.0ghz models that used the Airport Extreme Card.

So how many "bars" of signal strength are you getting?

I have an iBook Clamshell laptop from 2000 (10 years old)...it uses the older Airport card. My wireless router is in my basement, and I get perfect signal in my 2nd floor bedrooms (and that's going thru a couple floors & walls to get there).

Not sure what to suggest...other than maybe your wireless router is the source of the problem.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.