Slow, sluggish, lagging system :(

Reaction score
I upgraded to SL within a few days of it being released and up until last week my white Macbook had been running speedy and smoothly as ever. Now however I can't open any application without the beach ball sitting there mocking me forever. Safari takes ages to load and using Transmission is not an option. Any help on why my system is so slow now? Is there anything I can do to speed it up a bit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I upgraded to SL within a few days of it being released and up until last week my white Macbook had been running speedy and smoothly as ever. Now however I can't open any application without the beach ball sitting there mocking me forever. Safari takes ages to load and using Transmission is not an option. Any help on why my system is so slow now? Is there anything I can do to speed it up a bit?

Have you done the system update yet? i noticed that as well on 10.6.0 but with 10.6.1 its alot better and haven't seen that since.

OP
D
Reaction score
Have you done the system update yet? i noticed that as well on 10.6.0 but with 10.6.1 its alot better and haven't seen that since.

Yes, I did the system update and that is when it started to slow down really bad. Seriously, it's almost unusable at times...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Hm i'm not sure to tell you. Did you do an upgrade or a fresh install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've read different things from different people. I've heard of people having more success doing an upgrade then with a fresh install, not sure why this is. personally I upgraded from 10.5 and it runs mint.

What year is your white macbook?

OP
D
Reaction score
I've read different things from different people. I've heard of people having more success doing an upgrade then with a fresh install, not sure why this is. personally I upgraded from 10.5 and it runs mint.

What year is your white macbook?

I have a 2007 white Macbook. I'm not sure why an upgrade would make a difference though.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. As soon as I applied the 10.6.1 update my system slowed to a crawl. Have not been able to find the problem, thought it was a owner issue with the admin folder but did the reset in terminal and no help. System is so slow I could have a birthday waiting for mail to load. I did a temporary fix by reformatting my drive, doing a fresh install then using the transfer from time machine option to import my user folder as well as all of my settings. Everything works fine as long as I don't let Software update apply the 10.6.1 update. I guess something on my system & the update don't get along. I did check the Activity Monitor and it did not show any unusual or heavy file use, total CPU use was <10% as well as Memory usage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Are you getting a major list when performing permission repairs?

I had no issues on the late 07 MB, when doing a clean install, however, certain speed issues were occurring with a couple of applications.... especially safari (which is not uncommon).
I took the time consuming task eventually, of doing a clean install again, as well as a clean install of most my applications, freeing up the system of conflicting preferences and settings, etc
ONce I had done this, I manually moved over preferences, files and settings to get my itunes, iphoto, garageband, mail, and the list goes on, until I got all the applications that I use as they were before installation.
I even went as far as fresh downloads of plugins and add ons.
The way I went about this was pen and paper, and dropping all my applications 1 by 1 into app cleaner (not deleting) and wrote down all the related files and locations, as well as everything in the "others" tab of the appcleaner window.
Once doing this and doing a clean install, I put all the necessary files etc back, and then went though all the application, and anything that didn't work properly, if it didn't give me a report, I ran through all the HD, Home and System folders on my backup and searched for anything related to those applications and dragged and dropped until I got it right.
Once again, I say time consuming, but now after a little trial and error, my MB is purring along beautifully :)

11 Ways to Optimize Your Mac's Performance
52 Ways to Speed Up OS X | Pete White - 'World Famous' ImAFish 10.3 Kipper - Blog, Articles, Media, Forum!
Five Quick Tips to Speed Up Your Mac | MacApper

Reaction score
maybe?

This is far from a techie-type response, but I'll tell you what I did.

I, too, was having these same issues after the 10.6.1 update.

I just did the upgrade, and really didn't have too many issues until the update. So, I basically just went through and got as much stuff off the computer as possible, bringing the harddrive back up to about 100 GB of free space.

I additionally cleaned my cache's and deleted all of my cookies. This actually seemed to REALLY help. I additionally noticed that mlb.nexgen.autobahn was running constantly, and removed it, and since I did all three things, I'm back to a much faster mac. Now if I could just parse this ****ed Java problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

The obvious is yet to to be asked.... What size is the HD and how much space do you have free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Exactly. How much crap have you been putting on it with Transmission?

Also, try 10.6.2 now. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.