Buy Mac Pro now or wait?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've joined the forum to see if anyone can help me out as I'm finally going to make the jump from PC to Mac. As a music producer/composer it just makes sense. I'm looking at buying the 8core Pro so I visited the MacRumours website Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone and it says in its buyer guide to hold off buying one as its due a refresh soon. Does anyone know a little more about this and what it means when the refresh happens ie. does that mean I can get the current spec at a cheaper price or simply a higher spec at the same? Is it likely to happen before christmas? will it be worth waiting?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Only Apple know when the new models will be released, these sites can only speculate.

Last year it was January, this year it was January. Could be the same next year, but really no one knows.

I ordered mine early/mid January this year, and the new one came out 2 weeks later. Personally, it doesn't bother me as it is a stupidly fast machine and I wanted it now rather than waiting.

Top tip with Apple is, buy it when you need it or wait if you don't (how long is anyones guess tho)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Order it and be happy with the machine. Have been a Mac user since the introduction of the LC model, which came with 8MB memory and a whopping 160MB, yes MB, hard drive, and there has always been a new model just around the corner.

If I had waited for the extra model would still be pounding on a Commodore!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Mmmm commodore. I had the sickest power mac in creation once upon a time... Power Mac 7200/120 ... 120MHz processor, 40MHz system bus, 500MB HD, 32 bit address path! Man that thing was... well, a computer released in 1995 haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mmmm commodore. I had the sickest power mac in creation once upon a time... Power Mac 7200/120 ... 120MHz processor, 40MHz system bus, 500MB HD, 32 bit address path! Man that thing was... well, a computer released in 1995 haha.

Well let me tell you it was a powerful monster compared to the original LC lol! 16MHz processor speed, 16MHz system bus speed and the original HD was 40MB.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers and links, although I'm still not any clearer on one of the questions I was asking: "does that mean I can get the current spec at a cheaper price or simply a higher spec at the same?" I'm not really sure what it means in this regard when the line is refreshed. The reason I'm considering waiting is that the machine is brilliant for what I need but if it means I can get the same spec cheaper soon it would really help as I'm stretching myself financially for this computer.

Thanks

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thanks for the answers and links, although I'm still not any clearer on one of the questions I was asking: "does that mean I can get the current spec at a cheaper price or simply a higher spec at the same?" I'm not really sure what it means in this regard when the line is refreshed. The reason I'm considering waiting is that the machine is brilliant for what I need but if it means I can get the same spec cheaper soon it would really help as I'm stretching myself financially for this computer.

Thanks

Refresh meaning added goodies. Ranging from faster processor, to new features.

If you can wait, then wait. If you need it now then buy now. It's still the same machine in the end and will do what you bought it for.

OP
S
Reaction score
What I mean is, when the line is refreshed can I get the current spec computer at cheaper price or will I just have to buy an upgraded computer at the same price as the current model?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Last years model (if you can find one) are almost always less expensive than this years model.

In the current economy and with the lack of any knowledge as to what advances the next model will have, your guess is as good as ours as to whether the price of any new model will go up, down or remain the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can find one is the imperative part of the reply.

For sure here down under iMacs are very hard to get according to several mac sites, so it is presumed stocks are being exhausted pending the release of a new iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.