Uneditable ID3 Tag in iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Snow Leopard 10.6 iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 4 GB, Hitachi HDT721 640GB
Certain mp3s in my collection are "greyed out" when i select Get Info in iTunes, making the mp3 uneditable. How do I fix this so they can be edited?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Are they purchased or are they copy written content? And are you sure its an MP3 not aac or anything like that? one more thing to add, is the file read only? You can check by right clicking the file in itunes and show in finder. Apple I to get info and at the bottom it has permissions. If its set to read only then that would be why you also couldn't edit the tags.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Snow Leopard 10.6 iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 4 GB, Hitachi HDT721 640GB
Yes, it is an MP3 file, and it's downloaded in a torrent. I have checked the info, and all is set to read and write, and it's still not editable. This is annoying because it's part of a compilation, and I can't even make it a part of the compilation album.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I can only "assume" it's pirated as I'm unaware of any legitimate music, audiobook, etc. site that deliver mp3 files via torrents.

Just one of those things to live and deal with when you're using pirated material. It may work, it may not. Could be a bad rip, could be a bad download, could be any number of things.

A good way to "fix" it would be to purchase the material.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
You could always convert to aac and then add tags.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
I can only "assume" it's pirated as I'm unaware of any legitimate music, audiobook, etc. site that deliver mp3 files via torrents.

Just one of those things to live and deal with when you're using pirated material. It may work, it may not. Could be a bad rip, could be a bad download, could be any number of things.

The CBC in Canada releases a lot of it's content (TV and audio) through torrents. (they are mandated to distribute their content in every possible) Also a lot of podcasters release their content through torrents. That was a pretty judgmental and harsh response to a simple question.

OP
Two things you could try are a different ID3 tag editor or you could try duplicating the file and then try editing it again.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The compilation albums I was referring to with this problem are distributed freely to radio stations by record labels as a "promotional sampler" so that DJs know what is being played for the upcoming month. Most of these bands are unsigned (at the time of release) or rarely known and recently signed to a small or independent label.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could always convert to aac and then add tags.

The "Create MP3 Version" option worked so you weren't to far off in your suggestion. When the mp3 is converted I can edit the tags without a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad I could help in someway :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The compilation albums I was referring to with this problem are distributed freely to radio stations by record labels as a "promotional sampler" so that DJs know what is being played for the upcoming month. Most of these bands are unsigned (at the time of release) or rarely known and recently signed to a small or independent label.

Thank you very much, we appreciate the clarification c1ph3rtxt. We get a lot of folks coming here asking how to get their pirated software, etc. to work.

The CBC in Canada releases a lot of it's content (TV and audio) through torrents. (they are mandated to distribute their content in every possible) Also a lot of podcasters release their content through torrents. That was a pretty judgmental and harsh response to a simple question.

So sorry, I am not one of those politically correct folks. Just a down to earth old timer and half senile that calls 'em like I see 'em. The combination of mp3 + torrent + compilation = pirated music better than 95% of the time on most any forum, especially from a newb to the forum and I see my first response as a valid one.

You'll notice that I did not close the thread, but left it open in case I was mistaken in this case.

My initial response typically leads to one of two things:

The OP, also understanding that most of what they are discussing would be pirated, are usually not offended and come back with a brief explanation of the what and where of the misbehaving item in question as the OP did in this case. I end up apologizing to the 5% and we move on.

The other 95%, the op never returns or we find out through the op's own admission that it was indeed pirated material.

You may call it harsh and judgmental, I call it finding out whether or not myself and/or others wish to help the op or not. In my own small business career, I sure didn't like those for whom I had done work and then tried to cheat me out of my money. I (along with many others) have no desire to engage in helping people steal or cheat others out of their due.

I get it wrong on occasion. When I do, I have no problem admitting it, accepting the consequences nor even apologizing as so many seem to in the culture of today. To the ones with feigned indignation that I have rightly called them out, I have no sympathy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
I would agree that there a lot of people asking questions like this for nefarious reasons and I'm not a fan of pirating content and I don't have much use for torrents. But I think the forum would warm up a little if we gave people the benefit of the doubt more often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.