Aluminum Keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook air, pro ipad air
Hi,
I have the Imac + aluminum keyboard.

For what ever reason F10-11-12 will not control the volume. It may be coincidental but I do not want expose and noticed that the same keys are assigned in expose. I may have done something there to have disabled the volume keys ? I have set reset to factory defaults with no luck and tried just about everything else, again no luck.

Would adjusting expose have affected the volume keys ? BTW I have not spilt anything on the keyboard ;D

As far as I can see these are the only keys affected. The volume control on the top bar works fine.

Any suggestions please

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You could try going to "System Preferences", then click on "Keyboard"...and see if any of the keyboard function were modified.

Or you could try clicking on the "Restore Defaults" button to see if that corrects things.

Hope this helps,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Do your speakers work at all? is the little "volume counter) that appears on screen when you press the buttons come up at all? Try unhooking your usb speakers and other peripherals then plug them back in. That worked for me with the MBP before.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ZorroAMG

I only ever use the in built speakers. No peripherals at all (except keyboard) and no I do not get the counter at all (now)

@ pigoo3 tried restoring but no joy.

In keyboard shortcuts I notice that F9-10-11-12 are assigned to dashboard.expose and spaces shortcuts (and checked) but even unchecking them makes no difference.

I tried a M/S keyboard and the volume controls on the keyboard work fine.

Strange.. I'll keep trying everything :( thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
screenshot20090929at608.png

if you select of unselect that option you either have to hold the FN key on the bottom left of your keyboard to use the sound controls, if its unchecked to use the Function part of the F keys you need to hold function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Nice, ripping - didn't know that!

Madinmex, DO try removing the keyboard USB and plugging it back in if ripping's advice doesn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I'm pretty sure this is what the problem is.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RV and Zorro, many thanks but still no joy. BTW my FN is under the F13 (not sure that means anything but just thought I'D mention it)

The problem started after I was trying to disable expose and as I am still a newbie with mac I'M not sure if this affected anything. Have enclosed my Expose settings just in case.

The rest of the F keys appear to be doing what they should do.

2009-09-30_1248.png

Thanks again..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Expose won't have anything to do with it. Those are only working when your function key is pressed and then you hit F9 F10 etc. unless that option I have shown you is selected. Otherwise maybe you got a bad keyboard. It happens.

I have an aluminum keyboard and set it up how you have it and my function buttons still work so I'm not sure what more to tell you.

Advice I could give you is to try another keyboard. If you were anywhere near me i'd say hey sync up my keyboard and try it out but you live in mexico or so says your location.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for taking the time to answer RV and Zorro.

I'll get the son to take it to work and ask his colleagues to try it on their macs.

Thanks for everything ........

Reaction score
Hi!!

hello
I have exactly the same issue!! and cant find a solution to this problem, just wanted to specify that this happens with the keyboard that has the numeric pad on the right! thats why your fn key is under the f13 key (goes all the way up to f19) and yes, if you restore the default shortcuts it asigns the f8 f9 f10 to exposé functions
any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.