Apple external superdrive for MacBook Air won't work on G4 mini

Reaction score
Hi, hoping someone will have the answer to this one (it's a follow on from my last post ' mini - G4 Mini internal dvd/cd drive failure ' ) I have borrowed an Apple external usb superdrive which I understand is meant for the Macbook Air... It won't work... anybody know why ? before I end up completley bald !!!

thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, hoping someone will have the answer to this one (it's a follow on from my last post ' mini - G4 Mini internal dvd/cd drive failure ' ) I have borrowed an Apple external usb superdrive which I understand is meant for the Macbook Air... It won't work... anybody know why ? before I end up completley bald !!!

thanks
Is this what you are talking about:

Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive - Apple Store (U.S.)

Here's a quote from the Apple website regarding the external superdrive for the MacBook Air:

There’s no separate power adapter, and it works whether your MacBook Air is plugged in or running on battery power.

Since this external superdrive is powered my the computer itself...maybe the G4 Mac Mini's USB ports don't have enough "juice" to power this drive...since the drive was not originally designed to be used with a mini.

Just a theory...hope this helps,:)

- Nick

EDIT: Looks like my theory was not correct. According to this article:

MacBook Air SuperDrive for all « tnkgrl Mobile

The MacBook Air external Superdrive only works with the MacBook Air because:

This leaves the IDE to USB bridge. It’s a small circuit board that allows an IDE device like the optical drive within the MBA SuperDrive to work as a USB device. It uses firmware too – and Apple appears to have designed custom firmware for it!

There appears to be some sort of handshake happening between the MacBook Air and the IDE to USB bridge within the MBA SuperDrive.

The article does say that for about $9.00 the MacBook Air superdrive can me modified for use with other Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
There is a code in the hardware itself, which prevents it from running on a computer other than the MBA. It can be bypassed with wiring, but that requires dis assembly of the the drive.

OP
P
Reaction score
well thanks for the info. don't think I'll be opening the unit up though as it's not mine.
thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well thanks for the info. don't think I'll be opening the unit up though as it's not mine.
thanks again.

Yes...I didn't think that you would.;)

I posted the extra info since someone else in the future may have the same question/issue...they may be willing to modify their external drive...and if they do a search they may find this thread and find the answer they needed.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Just wondered if Patchburn would work... guessing not, clearly I don't have the right knowledge and will have to keep seeking advice from members, just hope they have patience. Thanks for the responses.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wondered if Patchburn would work... guessing not, clearly I don't have the right knowledge and will have to keep seeking advice from members, just hope they have patience. Thanks for the responses.

You could experiment...download the program, run it, and see if it works...if not...just uninstall the program.

But the issue with the external MacBook Air drive is firmware based which makes things a bit more complex.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
As everyone said. Unfortunately macbook air superdrives won't work on anything but the macbook air.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.