need a decompressor for an .HQX file

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a problem that I hope a MAC pro can help mw with. I am a PC user (please dont ban me lol) and I have been given an old Mac and rather than throwing it away I would like to give it to my grandson to learn on. Here is my problem:

It has OS 8.6 on it. I download a game on the internet for 8.6, burn it on a CD on my PC, transfer that CD to the MAC and when I double click the file after I have put in on the desktp I get an error saying that it could not be openned because the program thats created it could not be found. This has a file extension of .HQX When I look on the net what .HQX is, I find its a compressed file, so fine enough, I need a decompressor BUT when I download that it is also a .HQX file.

This is frustrating or maybe I am doing it all wrong on a MAC I dont know

Are there any suggestions?

Surely someone would have a suggestion for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Get Stuffit expander. It will open HQX files no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
How are you trying to open the file. Just double clicking it should unstuff the file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
i'm with Kevriano, Stuffit Expander will open .hqx and unstuff it to the location its at , at the time unless otherwise specified. I have an old mac classic II b/w that i use stuffit expander on and i'm running 7.5.5 on it , so you shouldn't have any issues with it..

OP
S
Reaction score
When I double click the suffit.hqx file I get the error message saying that it could not be openned because the program thats created it could not be found

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Have you tried to open stuffit expander first and then try to select the file? sometimes you get bad associations, and have you done a reboot yet? Sometimes there are also some startup control panels that need to start.

OP
S
Reaction score
I really do not know what you mean. I CAN NOT install Suffit. I downloaded it but it comes up with that same error. I can relate this to Windows prior to XP, when you needed Winzip or something else to uncompress a file, but with Winzip in those days the install program just started when you double click it. What I am saying is the Suffit will not install or am I doing it wrong. I think I explained all that in my original post didnt I.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really do not know what you mean. I CAN NOT install Suffit. I downloaded it but it comes up with that same error. I can relate this to Windows prior to XP, when you needed Winzip or something else to uncompress a file, but with Winzip in those days the install program just started when you double click it. What I am saying is the Suffit will not install or am I doing it wrong. I think I explained all that in my original post didnt I.

You need an older version to make it work. Stuffit 5 or older. the new versions DO NOT work on anything less then mac os x

I'm working on finding you a link
--Click Me To Download Stuffit for Classic OS 5.5--

Reaction score
His problem is the Stuffit download is also an .hqx file, which he can't install because he doesn't have Stuffit installed.
Catch 22.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How ridiculous to stuff the program file as hqx when you need the program inside to open it!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you all for all your help and suggestions and especially rippingviper for his file posting BUT that does not even work. Once on the mac it wants to know what program to open it with and I selected each one on the listing in turn and non of them worked. What is it about a MAC that everyone likes so much. I have never ever had difficulties like this on a PC even back to Windows 3.0. I wanted to give this computer to my grandson to learn on but maybe it would be better to buy him an older PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try getting The Unarchiver, that unstuffs everything I know of.
There is nothing wrong with Macs, and they easily the best thing to learn computing on.
I can't understand why a ready unstuffed file won't open.
What spec Mac is this, and what OS are you running?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes you are right and that statement was a harsh one, Im just very frustrated with something that SHOULD be easy. Its Imac, if that helps and OS 8.6. I have the disk so I did a new and full install of the system

OP
S
Reaction score
Wow. I tried The Unarchiver but exactly the same results. Could it be possible that downloading a file to a PC, buring it on the PC and getting the MAC to read that cd is the problem?. I mean the MAC sees and copies the filr, but somehow could it be corrupted during the process?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all for all your help and suggestions and especially rippingviper for his file posting BUT that does not even work. Once on the mac it wants to know what program to open it with and I selected each one on the listing in turn and non of them worked. What is it about a MAC that everyone likes so much. I have never ever had difficulties like this on a PC even back to Windows 3.0. I wanted to give this computer to my grandson to learn on but maybe it would be better to buy him an older PC

Its not that mac is bad. your running now unsupported software. those older machines can be finicky and some things are alot harder to get working then they are now. How about you host the file on --Here-- and upload the file. post the download link on here and i'll unstuff that file for you and ill repost the unstuffed file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. I tried The Unarchiver but exactly the same results. Could it be possible that downloading a file to a PC, buring it on the PC and getting the MAC to read that cd is the problem?. I mean the MAC sees and copies the filr, but somehow could it be corrupted during the process?

What file did you download if you post the link I could even download it here and repost the file and you can try it to see if it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.