• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Reducing the length of some footage and uploading to You Tube

Reaction score
hi a i am a newbie here and was wondering if some one could advise me how i can dramatically reduce the length of a movie i made whilst still hanging on to the unneeded clips? The footage is an hour long and despite the fact i shortened it to 5 mins by putting all the clips i didnt want back on the pane, I cant upload it to youtube which constantly rejects it for being too long.It claims its over an hour long when it isnt????Thats after I compressed in to Quicktime using various formats/codecs.,Even the basic one gets turned away
Someone suggested i drag the Quicktime footage back inot another iMovie project and start again but I movie rejected that,Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What version of iMovie?

It sounds like you have exported the movie as a QuickTime file. Open it in QuickTime and do a Command-I (show info) on the file. How long does it say it is? How large is the file?

OP
D
Reaction score
What version of iMovie?

It sounds like you have exported the movie as a QuickTime file. Open it in QuickTime and do a Command-I (show info) on the file. How long does it say it is? How large is the file?
yes the shortened version is a QT dv file and far too big and long :
27.91 gbs, 1 hr 10 mins long and i am using iMovie 5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
yes the shortened version is a QT dv file and far too big and long :
27.91 gbs, 1 hr 10 mins long and i am using iMovie 5

A 28GB file is 26GB larger than YouTube allows you to upload. When you do a Command-I in QuickTime player, what codec is used for the movie? You originally said the project was 5 minutes, a lot less than an 1hr & 10mins. What's up with that?

See my iMovie export guide regarding how to export to other more efficient codec such as H.264.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I'm not sure I'm understanding how you shortened your movie. Did you drag a five minute selection from the complete footage in the bottom Events pane into the Project pane on top? It sounds like you've exported the entire movie instead of just the five minute portion.

OP
D
Reaction score
A 28GB file is 26GB larger than YouTube allows you to upload. When you do a Command-I in QuickTime player, what codec is used for the movie? You originally said the project was 5 minutes, a lot less than an 1hr & 10mins. What's up with that?

See my iMovie export guide regarding how to export to other more efficient codec such as H.264.
I used this recommendation but it didnt work ie iMovie wouldnt accept the QT file

"If you want to keep just the clips that are actually in the movie, 'share' your shortened iMovie as Quick Time 'Full Quality' and save it to a convenient place such as the desktop.
Once that has been created, open a new iMovie and drag that new quicktime movie clip into it. Your movie will be one long clip."

I then tried out several codecs including this recommendation:
iMovie Settings for Upload to YouTube: iMovie Tutorial
and also compressed for web streaming which dramatically reduced the size of the file
In every case the file was rejected for being too long despite the fact i left just two clips totaling 5 minutes on the clips viewer (the rest having been returned to the clips pane),Its noticeable that the playhead continues playing way beyond the two clips as if the removed ones were still there

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm understanding how you shortened your movie. Did you drag a five minute selection from the complete footage in the bottom Events pane into the Project pane on top? It sounds like you've exported the entire movie instead of just the five minute portion.

Basically my original movie was about 1 hour an ten minutes long including several photos etc.What i susequently did and in order to get it accepted by you Tube, was remove the vast majority of the clips and move them back to to the pane leaving just two behind which totalled 5 minutes running time.What seems to be happening,though, is that because i saved the original film the movie runs as if those clips were still there and therefore when i "share" it , it carries the same time lapse with it, ie 1 hr and 10 mins

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds that the current project is somehow corrupted. Rather than mess with it further, I would try creating a new project and importing those clips of interest. They are already in your current project which is a container folder.

YouTube is limited to 10 minute segments and the total file size can't be bigger than 2GB.

OP
D
Reaction score
It sounds that the current project is somehow corrupted. Rather than mess with it further, I would try creating a new project and importing those clips of interest. They are already in your current project which is a container folder.

YouTube is limited to 10 minute segments and the total file size can't be bigger than 2GB.

not sure how i could do that .i opened a new project then clicked import , then clicked on the original movie and got a message saying it couldnt import, Quicktime couldnt parse it -1409.I then tried to open both movies so i could drag the clips I wanted but with no success

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.