Suggestions on MiniDV cams?

C

code777

Next month is my b-day so i will be asking for a MiniDV but the budget will be about $400 max. Even that might be asking for a little too much :p

What MiniDV goes well with the mac.

I was looking at the Canon ZR-200 and I really like it. But its a bit expensive. Thoughts?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looking at the Apple Site, it appears that the Canon ZR100 and ZR200 would fit your budget.

I have a Canon Optura 20 which work very well, functionally and with OS X.

OP
C

code777

HMMM, what's the difference between the ZR100/200? they kinda look the same just a big price difference... I do like the ZR200.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
I currently have the Canon Elura 65 and it works great. Honestly i've seen more expensive cameras videos and the quality is similar. The indoor quality I will admit is a little sandy but just make sure you have plenty of light. It works awesome with the my Mac.

Just my two cents!!!!

OP
C

code777

hmmm, talking to a digital video cam freak he explained to me that he is not a fan of Canon MiniDV cams... he suggested I stick to Sony products. He said even the el cheapo Sony Digital 8 works better than a Canon ZR-100 MiniDV.

He highly suggested i go to the Sony Outlets near me and check out a refurbed MiniDV rathan than pay full price on a ZR-100 or ZR-200.

Any comments????

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It all depends on your needs. For me the Canon handles low light levels better, than the Sony.

OP
C

code777

all i need the camera to do is just shoot general footage. nothing special. i just need it to be able to be compatible with iMovie. I thought the ZR-100 was fine but some reviews i found online say otherwise. ZR-200 is a bit much for something I won't be using a ton so... I don't know...hmmmmm Digital 8 seems like its going out the door as well.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased my camera some two years ago. What I liked about the Canon, was that it worked will in the natural light of a room. I do not need to add any additional lights. When I was doing the research, both Sony and Canon came out to be about the same. So more me, it came down to how I was going to use the cameras.

OP
C

code777

i'm gonna take a look at the ZR-100 again. I can't see a huge difference between the ZR-100 vs ZR200. Both are on sale at Best Buy. $332 vs $380 but maybe the $50 difference is worth it? I do not want to use the ZR as a digital cam, no need to print images from the ZR-200 to my Canon printer, and as far as I can see picture quality is the same. So what's the extra $50 for? Still shots?

OP
C

code777

Well looked at the Sony Outlets and they have a refurb HC20 for only $249. The sales kid told me it was probably just a "return" (I highly doubt that it must have been broken and repaired) and that this model was released back in Feb 2004 and has been replaced by the HC21.

Thoughts on this model? I think I'm just gonna get it but the 10x optical depresses me kinda but then again all i'm really doing with this is shooting short films. I am by no means a video freak. Just need to film some bands and family outtings and trips.

OP
C

code777

oh well got an early b-day gift, two weeks early... i hope the HC20 works ok even though its refurbished. Good deal at $249. I was lucky as they sold out within 4hrs the guy said. I got the extended repair service plan (rather than the replacement service plan which is a scam) for $15. good deals and well now i'm off to try this new toy out...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.