Logging in issue with network accounts

Reaction score
Hi All,

I help run a windows server 2003 domain network. On this network we have a number of macs running osx 10.5.6 and 10.5.2. We have a xserve running osx server 10.5.2 for setting policies on these macs and they are linked to active directory for authentication. The system is set up in a triangular fashion i.e. open directory on the xserve links to active directory on the windows domain controller, and the mac clients link to both active directory on the windows domain controller and open directory on the xserve.

This system has recently been set up, previously the macs were all used with local accounts.

Since they have been added to the domain, all of the macs have had to be switched on for around 20-30 seconds before they will log in with a domain account successfully. Logging in before this time will simply not work - the login window shakes to say the credentials are wrong. My assumption is that it is still loading the network processes in the background, even though the login screen has already appeared.

All IPs are received from DHCP - setting a static IP does not seem to resolve the issue.

Is this a known issue on macs?

Thanks for any advice.

James

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.