iStat not showing GPU diode temperature

Reaction score
I use iStat to keep an eye on the temperature of my macbook pro.

I noticed today that the temperature of my gpu diode dropped to -128 degrees Celsius. I decided that I should probably update my mac OS from 10.5 to 10.6. So I used my university's net install to install 10.6.

I updated iStat to version 2.0. Then I noticed that GPU diode does not even show up in the menu. Therefore I downloaded Temperature Monitor and the GPU diode still does not show.

However the GPU diode will sporadically show up. however, it has not shown up in a while now.

I can still see the temperature of the GPU heatsink however.

Does this mean that the GPU diode is bad? Or did the mac os X disable the reading of the GPU diode?

If the GPU diode temperature sensor did go bad, is there any problems with running the laptop without getting it fixed?

Any help with this matter would be very much appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The two temp programs iStat & Temp Monitor...may use differing terminology for the temperature locations they track.

I happen to be using Temp Monitor...and it does not measure or "label" anything called the GPU Diode...instead it calls it the "Graphics Processor Chip" and "Graphics Processor Heatsink".

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
well mine doesn't show the "graphics processor chip" in temperature monitor either.

Are you running snow leopard? Could this have something to do with me updating to 10.6 snow leopard?

i guess more system info would help....

I have the original 15" macbook pro with the 8600 gt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.