iMac G4 - Installed new AirPort Card - Password not working

Reaction score
Hi there,

I bought my roommate's old computer which works fine but didn't have an AirPort card. I bought one, installed it and the computer recognizes it. It also picks up the wifi signal that I use with my iBook but when it asks for the password and I type in the correct one, it tells me that "the password you entered is not correct for the selected AirPort network". I have tested it and it is the right password. Is there another reason it would not be connecting? The firmware specs are below in my sig.

Thanks. I've been trying to fix this for a month and am going a bit berserk.

OP
S
Reaction score
I verified the password again and am wondering if there might be other reasons that error would come up. Would it have something to do with the signal that is going out that my iBook can translate but the iMac can't? Or are there old system prefs somewhere on the iMac that I need to trash in order for it to recognize the wifi signal? Do I need an AirPort Extreme card instead of just an Airport card?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The password issue you're having probably has something to do with your local network...so you should probably see your network admin about it.

The only other reason why you would have a password issue is if the previous owner had a password on the computer itself. And if that's the case, and if you bought the computer from your roommate...then reach over & wake your roommate up, and ask them for the password!;)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Maybe not a password issue exactly

I have all of the passwords for the computer and my roommate has been trying to help. The wifi signal comes from a DSL line via a router. This same signal is what I have been currently using for my iBook and it works perfectly. When I turn on the iMac, the signal shows up but it does not accept the very same password that my iBook is using. I also verified it with the online Linksys page so I know that the password to access the wifi is correct.

I can't shake the feeling that it has something to do with the signal itself. I can't remember the terminology, but don't the newer iMacs have a specific type of signal that they prefer that older macs don't accept? For some reason I thought my iBook was on the cusp but the iMac may be just a bit too old. I dread the thought. I mean, the iMac accepts wifi. Can't it just be some setting on either the router or the computer the router is linked to?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have all of the passwords for the computer and my roommate has been trying to help. The wifi signal comes from a DSL line via a router. This same signal is what I have been currently using for my iBook and it works perfectly. When I turn on the iMac, the signal shows up but it does not accept the very same password that my iBook is using. I also verified it with the online Linksys page so I know that the password to access the wifi is correct.

I can't shake the feeling that it has something to do with the signal itself. I can't remember the terminology, but don't the newer iMacs have a specific type of signal that they prefer that older macs don't accept? For some reason I thought my iBook was on the cusp but the iMac may be just a bit too old. I dread the thought. I mean, the iMac accepts wifi. Can't it just be some setting on either the router or the computer the router is linked to?
Thanks for the extra info.

Are you sure that you are selecting the correct wireless network?

When you click onto the "signal strength" icon in the menu bar...you may have multiple wireless networks to choose from. I don't know what choices you have...all I can say is choose the correct network, enter your password, and it should work fine.

I hope that this helps,:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Encryption is the WiFi Router using? WEP? WPA? WPA2? Reason I ask is in all the older Macs I own with the older Airport Card, the newer encryptions will not work. Just like older PCMCIA cards on Windows laptops will only work with WEP but not WPA and WPA2.

OP
S
Reaction score
Bingo! I had a feeling it had to do with encryption, but wasn't the one who set up the network. Unfortunately, my roommate did via telephone support and doesn't know much more. I went online, changed the setting, got a WEP key and now both computers are online. Thank you!

Are there any downsides to WEP? Also, is using the key the only way to sign in on wifi? I can't use the "passphrase" that Linksys asked me to set up? Talk about long...it's also working on my iPhone now but was just wondering if the massive key is the only way. Thanks again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad to hear you got it working. WEP is pretty un-secure these days, but I still would rather use WEP than nothing as so many are so stupid I doubt they could hack WEP if you gave them the key! :D

You are running 10.3.9 correct? If so I think on the old Airport card WEP is your only option. I have a Power Mac with the old Airport using Leopard and WPA is available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.