Internet connection slow

Reaction score
I got the Macbook Pro 13, the cheaper one, on Wednesday. This is my very first Macbook, as well as laptop, and am glad I got this. I'm loving it so far. Connected it to the internet that very night, and it was fast. Very fast loading times. The next day, Thursday, it seemed like it slowed down a bit. Couldn't watch any YouTube videos because it wouldn't load all the way, regular websites I visit took a little longer to load up, and images took long to load too. Friday morning, it seemed fine, but I didn't try going on YouTube or anything. That day, I went to a friend's house and stayed until Saturday. The internet connection was fine, no long load times. When I got back home, for a little while, maybe an hour, the internet was like how it was on Wednesday night, but later on, it started to become how it was on Thursday. And today, Sunday, it's been like this all day.

My question is, what can be the problem? Would it be the router? Or my Macbook? The cable modem is connected to a Dell desktop. The modem is connected to a Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router Model No. WRT160N. My internet provider is Comcast. Also, an iPod touch is connected to the wireless connection as well. The internet on the desktop is fine. And even when the desktop is off, the internet is still the same.

Thanks in advance for those who could have some solutions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I got the Macbook Pro 13, the cheaper one, on Wednesday. This is my very first Macbook, as well as laptop, and am glad I got this. I'm loving it so far. Connected it to the internet that very night, and it was fast. Very fast loading times. The next day, Thursday, it seemed like it slowed down a bit. Couldn't watch any YouTube videos because it wouldn't load all the way, regular websites I visit took a little longer to load up, and images took long to load too. Friday morning, it seemed fine, but I didn't try going on YouTube or anything. That day, I went to a friend's house and stayed until Saturday. The internet connection was fine, no long load times. When I got back home, for a little while, maybe an hour, the internet was like how it was on Wednesday night, but later on, it started to become how it was on Thursday. And today, Sunday, it's been like this all day.

My question is, what can be the problem? Would it be the router? Or my Macbook? The cable modem is connected to a Dell desktop. The modem is connected to a Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router Model No. WRT160N. My internet provider is Comcast. Also, an iPod touch is connected to the wireless connection as well. The internet on the desktop is fine. And even when the desktop is off, the internet is still the same.

Thanks in advance for those who could have some solutions.

Well for 1 , Comcast is horrible. They're service is up and down alot depending on your area. And you were fine going out. I would just assume that your service to your house was just on the down slope when your trying to go online , that or maybe your router is in need of a reboot.

I highly doubt its anything to do with your macbook. First thing I would do is reboot the router, and powercycle the cable modem and then go from there.

OP
L
Reaction score
The internet at my friends house was also Comcast, but also the internet speed on the desktop is just fine.

How can I reboot the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Just unplug it and plug it back in leave it unplugged for about 10-15 sec, sometimes the wireless can get sluggish and the directly connected will still work just fine. Thats the easiest and simplest step you could start with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Well there are a few things that need to be factored in when we are determining loading times. What time of day are we talking about? Did you access the web on Wednesday say around 11pm as opposed to 6:30pm on Thursday? Traffic in your neighborhood has a great influence on your individual download / upload speeds.

As stated before Comcast isn't the best most reliable ISP, so that could be one of the factors as well.

You stated that you have multiple interfaces connecting to your wireless. The fewer wireless connections you have, the most dedicated signal your device(s) have. As a visual example, if you have a body of water flowing at 100mph in one direction you're doing great, but if you divide it into two paths you're down to 50mph, and four now down to 25mph. It's a crude example but the same basic principle applies with your wireless. The fewer connections the more dedication you have.

Another way you could test to truly see how fast your upload / download speeds are, are through speed tests. They are many readily available internet speed tests, my favorite is speedtest.net

Best of luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is true as well. But also alot of ISP's like myself, it doesn't matter how many users are on in our neighbourhood , 4pm 3am , doesn't matter here. I always have a steady connection. Only downtimes are during maintenance. But thats usually a full disconnect not just slower speeds. Now it may be a little different all around the world. But what does matter are how many users are connected on the network who you are going through like Ekim stated.

OP
L
Reaction score
I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, no difference really. And as for the time of day, it's been happening all day. I also changed the location of the router, which was being covered since it was underneath the desk.

And I did the speed test twice within about 5 minutes. The first test I got around 9mbs download and around 9mbs upload. The second time I got 18.46 mbs download and 9.58 mbs upload.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uhhh do you have any idea how fast that is?? thats rediculously fast. If your noticing decreased speeds like that i'm sure its just your ISP and not your end.

This is my works internet and this is how it is all the time...

OP
L
Reaction score
Honestly, it doesn't feel fast as the numbers say. YouTube videos don't even load all the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would be youtube's fault not your connections. Youtube servers are very heavily loaded at all times. Don't forget your not the only one connecting to youtube at once. Millions of other people are accessing the server at once. If you think its slow now imagine 100,000 people trying to use your computer at once. :)

Reaction score
Heh cool!!
Follow these to increase the speed of the internet
clear out the cookies in the browser , i feel it will be reason for your internet slow process .
Go to browser then click tools & clear private data in it ..
Then check out the speed of the internet in this site IP Details.com : Internet Speed test
I found that speed of my internet in this site & got nice solution ..
This site provide internet speed test at cheap cost & they are very much good in providing services .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.