photo booth crashing!

Reaction score
First off, let me just say that I am a new macbook user, just switched over from a PC to a mac last month. I downloaded something for Photo Booth that adds 30 something more effects to Photo Booth. The problem is this; when I go to take a photo, it will work fine but only if it's on the 'normal' setting. When I try to use any of the new effects such as "Thermal Effect", "Glow", "Pop Art", ect, ect Photo Booth just crashes on me. Is there anyway I can fix this? I know I can uninstall and reinstall Photo Booth but I do not have the CDs that came with my Macbook as this was a gift and was not given the CDs. Can I somehow just uninstall the program that I installed? Is there any other option? Thank you for your time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to purchase an original set of install DVDs for your MacBook or a retail version of OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard. You can not otherwise download or obtain another copy of Photo Booth.

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Without the disc to reinstall (doubtful that would work anyway), yes, uninstall the offending app.

It probably is not compatible with either the version of Photo Booth or the OS you have.
If that app has an uninstaller, use it. If it doesn't, go back to the site you got it from and look for directions to uninstall it. You may need to google it.

You really do need to get the discs for the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4gb DDR3 unibody, iPhone 3G 16gb, iPod Touch 16gb
i have the same problem...i dont understand what CD do you need?!!? i basically downloaded photobooth and it works but when i use the effects it crashes

OP
L
Reaction score
azndragon, I fixed the issue. All you need to do is this:
Go to Macintosh HD, click on the folder 'Library' then click on the folder 'Compositions' and delete all the effects that came with the program you downloaded. They're making photo booth crash and once you remove them it will work fine! If you still want effects, download Cat Eye. It doesn't work perfectly but it doesn't crash photo booth.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Good work lcrunk and thanks for reporting back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4gb DDR3 unibody, iPhone 3G 16gb, iPod Touch 16gb
thanks giving it a try right now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My experience was that plug ins that were Ok in Safari 3 created issues with Safari 4 and Photobooth. Removing plugins meant Safari 4 and Photobooth both worked OK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.