when to replace G5

Reaction score
My G5 is 5 years old and needs work. It is cheaper to fix it, but I wonder if the inability to run Intel software will become a growing problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
It will be. I mean, I miss the crap out of my G5 and wish I still had it (especially considering the 23 inch monitor and surround sound I had, plus it being almost as speedy as this macbook despite the slower RAM), but PPC isn't supported and it will only become a larger problem as time progresses. If your machine is ailing to the point where you need to repair it/are considering buying a new machine, your best bet would be to find yourself an intel mac. There are rumors that new iMacs are going to be released within the next month, so you will probably be able to pick up a cheap refurbished current generation iMac when the new generation is released. That would be my recommendation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It would only be a problem if you need to use Intel-only software.

Just because there is new software doesn't mean that you will have to use it or have any real need to use it.
So long as you run previous-generation software and it works for you, you won't have anything to worry about.

I still have my 1st gen Power Mac G5 and it still does exactly what I need it to do.
I don't have any need for Intel-only software, so until that day comes I won't have any need for a new computer.
I don't even run Leopard (10.5) because I have no need to.

So, to sum up:

Just because something bigger-faster-newer-"better" comes out, doesn't mean that what you have now will cease to become useful for you and your needs... causing you to absolutely have to run out and get that bigger-faster-newer-"better" thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
While DevilBoy is correct, if your PM G5 is already ailing, it's not going to get better. You can pay to repair it, however my system is suffering from a failed logic board/burned out processors (they determined it wasn't just the processors, but didn't rule out those being fried as well as the logic board), and the number of posts about failing powermac G5s in the past week has been astounding. It's getting to be about that time. A newer machine is almost guaranteed to give you much increased life, it comes with a warranty in case it's a lemon, and it probably won't cost that much more to upgrade.

Also, with the way software is going and the laziness with which script writers are writing their script (ex. flash player in OS X eating up tons of available processing power and wearing out processors), if you have the means you should definitely upgrade. Then again, I'm not the end all be all of computing, but I like to think that I have common sense. Buying a refurbished machine is a GREAT deal, and your powermac isn't going to get any newer. Also... newer system = less wear and tear, less grime build up inside, faster RAM, and all sorts of good things...

I don't know, to me it's an obvious choice. Maybe DB is just playing devil(boy)'s advocate here and arguing the other side just to give you the pros on that side also. Plus, nothing says you can't repair your G5 later if you want to. I know if I ever get the means to repair the logic board in mine (and it becomes cost effective for me to do so) I'll totally do it. I miss that machine, it was great to me for 4 and a half years... and I miss her. :( Her name was Priscilla :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think the question is, what Power Mac G5 do you own? What are the Specs?

What are the issues it's having? Did you take it to an Apple Store and get told what is wrong? How much to repair it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.