'restoring previous itunes library'

Reaction score
I can't find info on this ANYWHERE. I created a huge mess in itunes for nothing. One day i was fooling around with some duplicate software, and a few days later found itunes almost empty and completely panicked. Forgetting that i was fooling around with that software a few days prior, i think i missed out on the key 'show everything'. This is why I said i made the mess for nothing. I thought it to be odd that there was nothing in the trash. So, in a panick i just dragged the entire itunes music folder into itunes and the wheels started turning.
Now i have a huge mess I can't make sense of. Aside from the fact i seem to be missing 40gigs, there's duplicates galore- including duplicate podcasts. Some of the duplicates are different sizes??!! ***
Any support i can find is restoring itunes from an ipod. I'm using itunes9 and have a folder 'previous itunes library'. Theres of course several files in it with different dates. I wanted to try restoring from my latest date but can't get anything to happen.
Any advice or links anyone might have?
Thanks all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.