Forcing a non-standard display resolution

Reaction score
Running 10.4 on a G4 Powerbook.

The lower third of my screen is broken, likely due to some unknown physical problem. Is there a way I can "trick" the OS into only using a part of the screen?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, but you can try using an external monitor. That should work to give you a complete display.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, but if I had the cash for an extra monitor, it'd be going towards an new computer altogether. Also, I very much need my portability.

Here's part two, then:

I get along "okay" just positioning things in the working part of the screen, but recently I wanted to flashback and play the original Fallout. This is one of those lovely old apps that runs in forced fullscreen, and changes the resolution. I'm fully convinced that there is no way to run it in a window, but...

is there any way to stop an application from automatically readjusting display resolution when it runs?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
is there any way to stop an application from automatically readjusting display resolution when it runs?

Not if it's programmed that way. I've run into this even with some older Windows games and have tried using various methods to no avail. Keep saving your pennies for a new machine. O:)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.