Yet another dying PowerMac G5- kernel panics galore

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This has been said but I will repeat it. Holding down D does nothing on a Power PC Mac. D is for Intel Macs.

You found your original DVD's that came with your Powermac G5 correct? On all the G5's I have worked on, with Disc 1 in the drive, power on and hold down the Option key right at of just after the Startup Sound. KEEP it down and a bootmenu should show up. There is where you would select Apple Hardware Test.

It will only work if you have the original Install DVD's that came with your machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Actually, holding option or C keyes don't do anything either with install disk 1. Weird huh? Could it be a logic board/USB fault even?

As for the RAM issue, perhaps I need to run a loop test with all 6 sticks installed? I did try a combination of the 3 pairs of RAM on different slots on the motherboard and got the same results. I understand it is a tedious process, so I might have to keep at it. Is it weird for RAM to just suddenly fail after a few years? I have kingston, stock Apple and some other random brand of ram in there i think.

I personally don't like to mix RAM, particularly in systems that support dual-channel.

I would remove all but the stock memory and test.

OP
eek

eek

Reaction score
LOL, I'm going to kill someone now.

The install disks I had have never been opened before. I just broke the sticker. Anyways, holding down the option key gets me to a weird purple screen with two options- Macintosh HD and Mac OS X Install disc 1.

Why wouldn't there be a hardware test option? That's retarded.

Also, my USB mouse doesn't light up...what's the deal with that? Logic board dead?

Oh, booting it up with stock RAM only....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is there one or two disks? Are those the DVD's/CD's that came stock with that Machine?

OP
eek

eek

Reaction score
Is there one or two disks? Are those the DVD's/CD's that came stock with that Machine?

Yeah, they're the stock, grey disks that came with the machine.

The lack of ability for the hardware test and mouse that doesn't light up is a bit concerning. Logic board failure? I could have 6 bad RAM chips also :s

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.