Wireless broadband internet sharing

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2008 iMac with a UM150 USB modem. I need to share the internet connection with my Dish Network DVR. Everything in the DVR manual talks about connecting it to a hub or switch which I don't have. Any ideas?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Unless you have 2 ethernet ports on your machine you will need to use a switch or preferably a router as they also act as a firewall and are safer, not to mention if you want to expand your network.

Now are you connecting to the internet thru the modem? or through a cable modem (broadband) if your using the modem.. you could technically share that connection with your ethernet port and run a cable from your iMac to your dish reciever and your iMac would act as a gateway and give your dish an IP address.

I would need to know more specifics if i'm to direct you in the right direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
I am getting my internet exclusively through the USB modem.

A wireless usb modem i am assuming? Unless your dvr has wireless capabilities (which it doesn't) you will be unable to connect it. It needs to be hardwired, thus you will need to contact an ISP and purchase an internet plan.

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.