Microsoft office 2008 product key problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac|MacBook
i bought office for mac from my schools bookstore, and after one day it says that its registered to some other person. when i installed it, it never asked me for my product key, theres a product key on the disk that it came with. i tried registering through microsofts website and it said invalid key. the example shows a bunch of numbers but my product key is letters a-z.

i tried using it with the cd in and it works. i dont want to have to use it everytime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Call microsoft. They're going to be the only people who can help you with their registration.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If MS can't help, go back to the bookstore and get them to give you a new key after explaining your problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
i bought office for mac from my schools bookstore, and after one day it says that its registered to some other person. when i installed it, it never asked me for my product key, theres a product key on the disk that it came with. i tried registering through microsofts website and it said invalid key. the example shows a bunch of numbers but my product key is letters a-z. i tried using it with the cd in and it works. i dont want to have to use it everytime.

Return it to the school bookstore. You might have been sold a returned copy of Office 2008 that had been previously registered with MS. The Office 2008 Home and Student version comes with three product keys in the box. The keys are separate from the DVD and are on a yellow stick on label. (three labels).

The program will ask for the product key during installation. As far as I know, only the trial version of Office 2008 does not ask for a product key. And again, as far as I know, MS does not require activation of any Mac Office product as they do for their Windows versions. Registration of Office 2008 with MS is optional.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Interesting chscag.

Certainly using the full version it is necessary to activate the product code in order to get the Product ID from Microsoft. It appears this Product ID is how they keep track of illegal/pirated copies of Office 2008. Guess it is always possible someone could buy it in the AM, install on three computers using the three keys, and return it in the PM saying it was not what they wanted.

When changing computers and using the same key, on activation a different Product ID number is allocated. Is the full version registration different from Home and Student?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Harry:

As far as I know, the Product Keys which are issued with Office 2008 are not sent to MS during installation as they are with the Windows version of Office. The Win versions of Office do require activation. The newer Office 2007 also requires a "Genuine Office Check" before it activates and can be used as a full working version. (Trusting souls at MS aren't they :Angry-Tongue: )

Registering Office 2008 with MS (all versions) is optional. The Office 2008 Product Key is asked for during installation and is encrypted into one of the many PLIST files created during install.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Something smells fishy here, but...

Every version of Mac Office I've ever used (Since Mac Office 4) has asked for a key when any of the apps was opened for the first time. This was even true when multiple licenses were obtained and the package was installed on office computers on a LAN.

Office Mac 2004 and 2008 are interesting because unlike other versions, they check their local LAN for other users using the same key. If you have a single copy and and have multiple users utilizing it (with the same registration key) on a LAN, when a second user attempts to open an Office App, you will be told that another user is using a MS Product with that Identification key and that you can't open any Office Apps. When the other user closes their MS App, you can then open it.

In the case of the OP, it sounds like the product key from the purchased version may have been stolen or otherwise compromised and that an MS product using that key is being used on the LAN. I find it odd that it never asked for a new key though.

This is a case where I would recommend a 3rd party app uninstaller like App zapper to get all the bits of office off the OPs computer and then reinstall from the disc.

If this persists, return the Office package and buy from a more reputable source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
University bookstores are pretty reputable sources.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And the Product ID allocated to my Office 2008 after activation is a completely different ID to the key printed on the yellow stickers on the CD case. The bookstores no doubt are reputable but it is still possible for someone to purchase a copy, and with a couple of friends use up the three codes on three computers and return the software for a refund.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The bookstores no doubt are reputable but it is still possible for someone to purchase a copy, and with a couple of friends use up the three codes on three computers and return the software for a refund.
It's technically possible but most places nowadays won't take back software if the package has been opened. So, if three friends did do this, the odds of them being able to return the software are pretty slim.

If they were able to exchange the product (sometimes an option for opened software), then the fault lies with the bookstore who should give this individual a refund or a working copy.

My thoughts exactly!;)
Have you ever been to a university bookstore? They are just as credible as the local brick and mortar office supplies store or Amazon. If anything "fishy" is going on, it has nothing to do with the bookstore.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's technically possible but most places nowadays won't take back software if the package has been opened. So, if three friends did do this, the odds of them being able to return the software are pretty slim.

If they were able to exchange the product (sometimes an option for opened software), then the fault lies with the bookstore who should give this individual a refund or a working copy.

Have you ever been to a university bookstore? They are just as credible as the local brick and mortar office supplies store or Amazon. If anything "fishy" is going on, it has nothing to do with the bookstore.

I agree that most (if not all) stores will not accept returned software if it is opened...this has been a policy that stores have had for a very long time. And yes I have been to a university bookstore...all 5 of the university bookstores that I've taken classes!:)

BTW...I think that you may have misinterpreted my meaning when I was agreeing that something "fishy" may be going on.:)

What I was implying was...maybe someone is "fishing" or "phishing" for a "product key".;)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW...I think that you may have misinterpreted my meaning when I was agreeing that something "fishy" may be going on.:)

What I was implying was...maybe someone is "fishing" or "phishing" for a "product key".;)

- Nick
Fair enough. My mistake. :)

To the OP, how was it packaged when you bought it? Was it in a retail box (and unopened)? I only ask because my old school sold me a copy of SPSS that was in a paper sleeve (I assume this was because of some agreement).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.