Running Tiger/Leopard-only software in Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Backstory: I bought a brand-new 13" MacBook Pro a few days ago for school. I also bought a statistics suite for OS X, but didn't read the fine print that it runs only in Tiger and Leopard (I'm new to Macs, figured as long as OS X was up there, I'd be fine). The online store claims absolutely no refunds, so I need to make it work in Snow Leopard ($200 is a lot of money to a student!).

Problem: Installer won't open. I double click, it pops up for 5 seconds, and closes without any error or notice.

Options/Solutions:
- I called Apple, they claim I cannot downgrade a MBP that shipped with Snow Leopard to Leopard. Is this true?
- I've searched for an Tiger/Leopard emulator that runs in Snow Leopard, all I seem to find is Windows-based OS X emulators. Any suggestions?
- I've installed Rosetta from the OS X DVD, chosen to run the installer with Rosetta (in the info). No dice.

Suggestions?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Rosetta is only meant to allow you the ability to run software written for PPC Macs.

What statistics software package is this?

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah, I realized that shortly after I posted.

It's called SPSS, a suite that comes with that and a number of other stats packages.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Backstory: I bought a brand-new 13" MacBook Pro a few days ago for school. I also bought a statistics suite for OS X, but didn't read the fine print that it runs only in Tiger and Leopard (I'm new to Macs, figured as long as OS X was up there, I'd be fine). The online store claims absolutely no refunds, so I need to make it work in Snow Leopard ($200 is a lot of money to a student!).

Problem: Installer won't open. I double click, it pops up for 5 seconds, and closes without any error or notice.

Options/Solutions:
- I called Apple, they claim I cannot downgrade a MBP that shipped with Snow Leopard to Leopard. Is this true?
- I've searched for an Tiger/Leopard emulator that runs in Snow Leopard, all I seem to find is Windows-based OS X emulators. Any suggestions?
- I've installed Rosetta from the OS X DVD, chosen to run the installer with Rosetta (in the info). No dice.

Suggestions?

First of all...the software you purchased...if it it not compatible with Snow Leopard...then it's not compatible! Trying to launch the installer program in SL won't help.

As far as your questions:

- if you have the newest 13" MacBook Pro...it originally shipping with OS 10.5.7...but since you just purchased yours 3 days ago, it probably shipped with 10.6 or 10.6.1. In any case...you should be able to "downgrade" the OS to 10.5.7 or 10.5.8...but of course you will need to purchase a copy of 10.5 Leopard...but that's going to cost $100-$130 bucks!:(

- Rosetta is a emulator that allows "non-intel" compatible software to run on an "Intel" Mac. It has nothing to do with the version of the OS needed to run a particular software program.

The only other solution is to wait for an update for the Statistics software package you purchased...so that it's compatible with Snow Leopard...but that could be a while.

What software package is it SAS, SPSS, etc.?

I hope that this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Well, bummer, Dude!

That Application suite may not be usable, anyway.

Definitely post the Application name and all the distributors, after you call for support. ( I suspect it's a discontinued or unsupported application, in which case, your school should step in.) But, posting about bogus applications does work!

Personally, I'd return the software if they aren't actively supporting it.
There has to be another option, or you should ask your college to loan you a system where it will work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I realized that shortly after I posted.

It's called SPSS, a suite that comes with that and a number of other stats packages.

Yes like you said...SPSS isn't compatible with 10.6.

Statistics Compatibility

Maybe you could contact the SPSS folks to see if an update is in the works, and if so how long. Otherwise it would seem a "downgrade" to 10.5 would be the route you need to go if you REALLY need to use this software on your laptop...versus on a professor owned computer (like in one of their labs)...or at a computer lab on campus.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
First of all...the software you purchased...if it it not compatible with Snow Leopard...then it's not compatible! Trying to launch the installer program in SL won't help.

As far as your questions:

- if you have the newest 13" MacBook Pro...it originally shipping with OS 10.5.7...but since you just purchased yours 3 days ago, it probably shipped with 10.6 or 10.6.1. In any case...you should be able to "downgrade" the OS to 10.5.7 or 10.5.8...but of course you will need to purchase a copy of 10.5 Leopard...but that's going to cost $100-$130 bucks!:(

- Rosetta is a emulator that allows "non-intel" compatible software to run on an "Intel" Mac. It has nothing to do with the version of the OS needed to run a particular software program.

The only other solution is to wait for an update for the Statistics software package you purchased...so that it's compatible with Snow Leopard...but that could be a while.

What software package is it SAS, SPSS, etc.?

I hope that this helps,

- Nick

Thanks Nick,

In response to your post:

- the new MBP definitely came with SL. I left out a detail that may be important here: This is my wife's computer. I have a late-2008 MBP with the original Leopard install DVD. Is it worth trying to install Leopard on this computer? How does Mac keep track of their software application installs? (will it reject it on this computer because it isn't the same one that came with the DVD?)

- we pay for a 12-month 'rental' of the software, that begins when we register the install key. So, technically, I can wait it out for a SL update without losing money, but my wife needs it desperately for school (like, needs it working right now).

- SPSS suite, that includes, among other programs, AMOS.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick,

In response to your post:

- the new MBP definitely came with SL. I left out a detail that may be important here: This is my wife's computer. I have a late-2008 MBP with the original Leopard install DVD. Is it worth trying to install Leopard on this computer? How does Mac keep track of their software application installs? (will it reject it on this computer because it isn't the same one that came with the DVD?)

- we pay for a 12-month 'rental' of the software, that begins when we register the install key. So, technically, I can wait it out for a SL update without losing money, but my wife needs it desperately for school (like, needs it working right now).

- SPSS suite, that includes, among other programs, AMOS.

You're welcome!:)

The Leopard install DVD that came with your 2008 MBP is it grey/silver colored. If so, these disks are model specific and may not work on your wife's newer 2009 MBP...but the bigger issue would be that you would be violating Apple's EULA (one user license/computer).

As far as the 12-month rental. Yes I am familiar with this...I used SAS & SPSS in college...and I'm familiar with the "rental" plan. I actually have a really old version of SPSS for the Macintosh before they started charging the "annual fees"...it's probably about 10 years old.

To be within the Apple EULA (end user license agreement)...you would need to purchase a separate install DVD of Leopard for your wife's computer.

I hope this helps...probably not the answer you wanted...having to spend more money!:(

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
After doing some more research (from the SPSS help site):

PASW Statistics 17.0.x (and earlier) will not run at all on Mac OS X 10.6. - Please see Mac OS X v10.6: About incompatible software

This is due to certain classes in Java moving between Java 1.5 (which is required by versions 17.0 and earlier) and Java SE 6. Because Mac OS X 10.6 only ships with Java SE 6, Statistics 17.0.x (and earlier) will not run on OS X 10.6; it's not a condition that is patchable, and at the present time there are no plans to create a version of 17.0.x that is based on Java SE 6. This may be an issue for customers that have 17.0.x and want to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6. At this time, a move to Mac OS X 10.6 should coincide with an upgrade to PASW Statistics 18.

Reaction score
Enabling Rosetta in Torq 1.5.2

Hey u guys,

I read all the possible forums ( well, most of them , I think) regarding the issue with the Snow Leopard + Torq duo. I understand, that u can make it work with rosetta. Now, it might be just my stupidity, but I installed rosetta from the SL disc all right, but when I wanted to tick the "open with rosetta" option on torq clicking on "get info" I couldn't find that box. Clearly, there's no "open with rosetta" option to tick.
Can anyone suggest something? I have torq 1.5.2 and SL 10.6.3. installed with all the necessary updates.
:|

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.