turn off, sleep, or do nothing

Reaction score
So I've been reading about how you shouldn't turn your computer on and off after every usage because it's basically putting unecessary strain on the system. Instead, apparently it's recommended to just put the computer to sleep and only restarting the computer when absolutely necessary.

Can anyone confirm this and even explain why this might be the case? I typically use the computer and then turn it off for the evening and then the next day when I need it, turn it back on, etc, etc.

Thanks.

Reaction score
So I've been reading about how you shouldn't turn your computer on and off after every usage because it's basically putting unecessary strain on the system. Instead, apparently it's recommended to just put the computer to sleep and only restarting the computer when absolutely necessary.

Can anyone confirm this and even explain why this might be the case? I typically use the computer and then turn it off for the evening and then the next day when I need it, turn it back on, etc, etc.

Thanks.

It is true that turning on and off surges the electronics. So you may lose like a week off the life of the computer. Never liked this sleep thing as lots of people have issues like the machine never wakes up. I turn mine off every night it saves energy and if you have an open broadband connection you should turn it off. :) The best thing to do to make the machine last longer is to keep the dust out of it.

OP
H
Reaction score
I agree about waking it up from sleeping. Sometimes it works fine but other times, it seems to be hung up on something and doesn't wake up properly.

I just don't really like the idea of leaving the computer on all the time because of the all the electricy it's using, not to mention the fact that it will always be "connected" to the internet.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I let it sleep, and only restart for updates. I've had mine running for almost a year without shutting down.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Depends on where you live. If you live in the lightning capital of the US, Florida, it's best to turn it off, unplug it, move it away from windows, etc. :)

Here in Fort Worth, TX we get thunderstorms that sound like someone's declared war - not to mention an occasional hailstorm. I turn my machine off and unplug it whenever I'm not around.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06 Intel Dual Core
I think everyone that says shut it down are right and unplugging when the storms rage, without question. It is imminently more important when the question of broadband connections are involved (they're never off except when they have power-outages (duh, I know, but you never know). Saving energy and refreshing your machine with a clean boot up is just good policy.
I do leave mine on if I'm just going to be away for an hour or two, but even then, I also shutdown.

I'm sure you've received enough feedback to be able to determine what you think is right for you.

fp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I personally never shut off my systems and are on backup power in case of storms, outages and surges. But i'm also always connected to a surge protector or battery backup. But thats just me. I carry my MBP in its carrying case with it in sleep all the time, mine doesn't see a reboot unless its a necessary update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.