Airport Problem

Reaction score
Okay so, Lately ive been having problems connecting to some random networks (wireless and wired) Basically what happens is some networks i can connect to perfectly fine, other ones when i try and connect to them in network settings it first comes up and says no ip address then after about 15 seconds it times out and says self-assigned ip and it won't connect. I've tried just about everything i could find. I erased all my locations and made a new one, i did a clean reinstall of snow leopard updated to 10.6.1, and i also reset my nvram.

And the reason i know its my computer and not the network is because when i go to try and get on the network on my college campus it says self assigned ip and that whole mess. I've taken it to the IT department on campus and they couldn't figure it out either.

Another really weird thing is that if im wired to my router it works fine, but if i unplug my router from the ethernet jack in the wall and plug directly from the jack to my computer it comes up saying self assigned ip but if i go from the jack to my router to my computer it works no problem.

These are some screen shots of what happens when i unplug my router as mentioned above.

2hftbgo.jpg

This is when I'm wired through the router and it works fine.

1191fsz.jpg

This is right as i plug directly from the wall jack to my computer before it gives itself a self assigned ip

1qocbm.jpg

This is what it says after it times out and gives itself a self-assigned ip.

I've tried everything and i don't know what to do.

Please help me!

-Jeremy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most networks require you to either obtain an IP address through a modem or modem - router combo. Very few networks that I know allow a direct net connection and self assigned IP address. Verizon FIOS is one that does allow it using PPPoE.

I guess I'm not sure what your problem is? All your illustrations (screen shots) look normal. Are you able to connect when using Airport Wireless?

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Most networks require you to either obtain an IP address through a modem or modem - router combo. Very few networks that I know allow a direct net connection and self assigned IP address. Verizon FIOS is one that does allow it using PPPoE.

I guess I'm not sure what your problem is? All your illustrations (screen shots) look normal. Are you able to connect when using Airport Wireless?

Regards.
When i try and connect directly into the wall jack its based out of the whole system. I live in a college apartment complex so the whole building is connected and has ethernet jacks in all of the rooms. So the modem is in the main part of the system in the office or wherever.

It depends on where i am trying to connect. When I'm on my college campus, i can't connect wirelessly or wired, both say self assigned ip and i can't connect. But when i'm at my house which has ethernet jacks built in the wall if i have my router plugged i can wirelessly and wired connect to it but if i unplug the router and connect directly to the wall with an ethernet cable it says self assigned ip and it can't connect to the internet. I know i used to be able to connect directly to the wall but now i cannot.

It really confuses me because it works some places and others it doesn't. Pretty much the only wireless connection that i can't get on is the network on campus but there aren't any other macs that can't connect. So it has to be something with my computer.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
It sounds to me like your campus has mac address filtering on as its rejecting your computer when you plug it into the jack. Either that or its unplugged in your room or a connection error in the lines. Have you attempted to use another computer in that jack?

Also to add. my Fiancee goes to university and while on campus we need to connect through the network using 802.1x which requires a username and password , then grants you access. It is a possibility that this could be the issue.

OP
H
Reaction score
It sounds to me like your campus has mac address filtering on as its rejecting your computer when you plug it into the jack. Either that or its unplugged in your room or a connection error in the lines. Have you attempted to use another computer in that jack?

Also to add. my Fiancee goes to university and while on campus we need to connect through the network using 802.1x which requires a username and password , then grants you access. It is a possibility that this could be the issue.
Well first off the weird thing is that i know the jack thats in my room works because when i plug the router into it then plug my mac into the router it works fine, but when i take the router out of the picture and connect directly to the jack it doesnt work, and i was connected directly to the jack in the beginning of the year before i got my router so i know its fine.

And when i go on campus i do have to login using my student account but it wont let me get to that screen because it won't let me get any sort of internet access, so the guys in the IT department manually put me in the system and it still doesnt work.

I just dont get it.

Is there anyway i can reset my entire network settings back to completely factory incase there is something i messed up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist , is the directory and you could just rename it to
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist.bak or whatever you choose really and reboot. it'll rebuild all your system
preferences. you may be required to re-enter some preferences.

I've read this on quite a few places and seems to work for them. If it doesnt you can always just rename that other file back and remove the
new one. but it rebuilds your preferences on bootup to factory.

Maybe its the cable your using when your wired? Is it cross or straight thru? Have you tried to use another cable to the router and go thru ethernet that way on campus?

OP
H
Reaction score
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist , is the directory and you could just rename it to
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist.bak or whatever you choose really and reboot. it'll rebuild all your system
preferences. you may be required to re-enter some preferences.

I've read this on quite a few places and seems to work for them. If it doesnt you can always just rename that other file back and remove the
new one. but it rebuilds your preferences on bootup to factory.

Maybe its the cable your using when your wired? Is it cross or straight thru? Have you tried to use another cable to the router and go thru ethernet that way on campus?

I tried that preference thing, and that did reset my settings and i tried it with the wired ethernet directly and it didnt work, tomorrow when i go to campus ill try and see if that works for that.

Fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Goodluck!

And i was just examining your pictures. It appears you have parallels installed. It looks like you've been configuring the parallels ethernet, the one that says no ip address is the one you want to be addressing. the other ones just grab an IP from that one that says ethernet , the EN2 and en3 are just the virtual connections!

OP
H
Reaction score
Goodluck!

And i was just examining your pictures. It appears you have parallels installed. It looks like you've been configuring the parallels ethernet, the one that says no ip address is the one you want to be addressing. the other ones just grab an IP from that one that says ethernet , the EN2 and en3 are just the virtual connections!

I was just looking into why they're there. I had parallels installed over two years ago on here for like a week and i didnt like it. I've noticed that when i delete them and then i try and plug directly into the wall they come back?

Does this mean anything important??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm I think its because you still have parallels installed in a way. If you remove all the pref's and whatnot like I did then remove those they will go away. They are just there so that the virtual desktop can connect to the network. they just virtually bridge themselves when parallels is running.

Theres 2 of them because 1 bridges the Airport and 1 does the ethernet. They both say ethernet though because they are virtual :)

You can just pretty much forget them or remove the parallels software.

OP
H
Reaction score
YESSSSS!!!!!

I figured it out!!

It was parallels that was messing everything up!

I googled parallels uninstaller and found a bunch of things i had to put into terminal to delete older files and then i deleted the preferences.plist again rebooted and now im directly hooked into my wall jack!

Tomorrow will be the final test to see if i can connect to the wireless internet on campus! I'll let you guys know as soon as i find out. Thanks so much for your help rippingviper!

Thanks again!
Jeremy

OP
H
Reaction score
Okay... so i got the ethernet jack in my room to work but the wireless internet on campus doesn't work. I tried deleting the .plist again and that didnt do anything for my wireless...

I'm gonna go to IT again today and see if they can help me any more.

Any other ideas??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm oh boy. Campus is alot harder cause we don't really have access to anything they have. Hmm only thing i can think of is the 802.1x for logging in or else you won't get a connection. I have a feeling its not just your laptop that seems to be the problem.

I know that most campus' use that protocol cause its very safe and secure. I know that if i connect to a wireless signal on campus without it , it brings me to a page and says access denied please login and gives me a link to how to set it up. But your saying you don't even get wireless an IP address at all.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hmmm oh boy. Campus is alot harder cause we don't really have access to anything they have. Hmm only thing i can think of is the 802.1x for logging in or else you won't get a connection. I have a feeling its not just your laptop that seems to be the problem.

I know that most campus' use that protocol cause its very safe and secure. I know that if i connect to a wireless signal on campus without it , it brings me to a page and says access denied please login and gives me a link to how to set it up. But your saying you don't even get wireless an IP address at all.

Yeah, i know theres a link thats supposed to come up for me to log into but i can't even get to that screen because it doesnt give me any sort of IP address.

So your saying if i go to 802.1x (which is in network settings/advanced)

What do i do in there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well depends on how the network is set up. Now our univercity uses ttls, so what we usually do is enable that protocol, then would put your university login for username and password also select the correct wireless network in the dropdown box. Im not there right now so its all greyed out for me so its hard for me to remember every step off the top of my head.

But your IT's at the uni should be able to tell you what protocol they use and whatnot and maybe you can enter it that way. Alot of these uni's don't know much about macs unfortunately so you pretty much need to make it up as you go.

OP
H
Reaction score
Well depends on how the network is set up. Now our univercity uses ttls, so what we usually do is enable that protocol, then would put your university login for username and password also select the correct wireless network in the dropdown box. Im not there right now so its all greyed out for me so its hard for me to remember every step off the top of my head.

But your IT's at the uni should be able to tell you what protocol they use and whatnot and maybe you can enter it that way. Alot of these uni's don't know much about macs unfortunately so you pretty much need to make it up as you go.

So i took it to the IT department and they think i may have a virus on my mac? They have it right now and they're doing a virus scan on it so hopefully it works?

I wasn't aware of any viruses out there for mac or is that old news now that they've become so popular?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is HIGHLY unlikely that you have a virus on your mac. If they are scanning it with a PC virus detector it may pick up virus' in files BUT most of them cannot affect mac's.

There has got to be something that we're missing for settings. Reason you can connect now via the ethernet cable is because we cleaned out your network settings with the pref wipe.

There has to be a setting on the network that they arn't giving you to set it up on the wi-fi , unless you have a wifi hardware problem. which is unlikely but not as unlikely as a virus. lol.

OP
H
Reaction score
That is HIGHLY unlikely that you have a virus on your mac. If they are scanning it with a PC virus detector it may pick up virus' in files BUT most of them cannot affect mac's.

There has got to be something that we're missing for settings. Reason you can connect now via the ethernet cable is because we cleaned out your network settings with the pref wipe.

There has to be a setting on the network that they arn't giving you to set it up on the wi-fi , unless you have a wifi hardware problem. which is unlikely but not as unlikely as a virus. lol.

Okay this really is the weirdest thing i have EVER heard.

First off my internet works.

The explanation.. they did the virus scan with sophos for mac virus scan. It came back with one detected file. It was a random song that ive had in my itunes since like last year. The virus scan deletes it and now my internet works?

I've never even listened to the song?! It really confuses me but i don't really care? hahah as long as my internet works.

This is the log that the virus scan output:

Sophos Anti-Virus
Product version: 7.0.5
Threat detection engine version: 2.90.1
Threat data version: 4.45
Release date: 07 September 2009
Detects 986561 threats
Copyright © 2008-2009 Sophos Plc. All rights reserved.

Scan name: "Scan This Mac"
Scan items:
Configuration:
Scan inside archives and compressed files: Yes
Automatically clean up threats: No
Action on infected files: Report only

Scan started at 2009-09-29 11:17:18 -0400

New volume detected at /Volumes/NO NAME
New volume detected at /
New volume detected at /Volumes/Untitled
Error: corrupt file at: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Drive CS4/Adobe Drive CS4.app.
Error: corrupt file at: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Installers/cb9dd3338cc1be31e597d7747535dd0/Uninstall.app.
Error: corrupt file at: /Applications/LimeWire/LimeWire.app.
Error: corrupt file at: /Applications/RealPlayer.app/Contents/Resources/es.lproj/PreinstalledComponents.plist.
Error: corrupt file at: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Installers/235092c2bbcf1087210eee489508a5f/Setup.app.
Error: corrupt file at: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Installers/1a8ec3eb88d71bd9daa696f1f0ae224/Setup.app.
Error: corrupt file at: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Installers/cb9dd3338cc1be31e597d7747535dd0/Uninstall.app.
Error: corrupt file at: /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities.localized/ExtendScript Toolkit.app.
Error: corrupt file at: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles.
Error: corrupt file at: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended.
Error: corrupt file at: /Applications/GarageBand.app/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj/AboutPanel.nib.
Error: corrupt file at: /Applications/GarageBand.app/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj/DfWoodwind.nib.
Error: corrupt file at: /.
Virus: 'Mal/ASFDldr-A' detected in /Users/jeremystraw/Downloads/Music/MIA - Kala (2007)/01 M.I.A. - Bamboo Banga.mp3<<This is the so called virus???
Error: corrupt file at: /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app.
Error: corrupt file at: /Applications/iChat.app.
Error: corrupt file at: /Applications/Mail.app.
Error: corrupt file at: /Applications/Safari.app.
Error: corrupt file at: /Applications/Stickies.app.
Error: corrupt file at: /Applications/System Preferences.app.
Error: corrupt file at: /Users/jeremystraw/Desktop/Stuff.
Error: corrupt file at: /Volumes/Untitled/MSOCache/All Users/{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C/EnterWW.cab.
Error: encrypted file at: /Volumes/Untitled/Program Files/McAfee.com/Agent/uninst/screm.ui.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lmfao!! Thats hilarious, Though you do have corrupt files. That is why I mentioned the rebuilding of that file since if it was corrupt it wouldnt be anymore, that and the parallels thing.

Well i'm glad you got it working, you definately had me stumped and trying everything that i know!! + More!

OP
H
Reaction score
lmfao!! Thats hilarious, Though you do have corrupt files. That is why I mentioned the rebuilding of that file since if it was corrupt it wouldnt be anymore, that and the parallels thing.

Well i'm glad you got it working, you definately had me stumped and trying everything that i know!! + More!

Hahah yes yes thanks so much for all the help!

Those corrupt files.. did the virus scan fix them or whats going on with them? is there a way i can fix them/erase them?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.