Funny mark on the edge of the screen

Reaction score
I just got my imac today and noticed this mark:
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss128/Soap_for_breakfast/S5005001.jpg

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss128/Soap_for_breakfast/S5004998.jpg

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss128/Soap_for_breakfast/S5005000.jpg

It's not a scratch on the outside and it can't be wiped off. My main concern is it spreading onto the screen. As you can see, It's on the edge. I'm able to get a refund If I act quick. The mark itself is a bit smaller than the width of my finger nail. Everything else works. I'm just being cautious with it costing a lot of money.

Has anyone come across these marks before?

What should I do?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If as you're implying that this mark is "growing"...then of course return the computer for a refund!

If it can't be wiped off, and it's growing...maybe it's a crack.

Return it!

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
no it's not growing but I'm scared it might. I think it might be a dodgy paint job inside where the black has come off...? is the black painted on?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My main concern is it spreading onto the screen.

The way you worded this...it sounded like it was growing.:Confused:

Are you sure that this "mark" cannot be wiped off? Have you tried using a damp cloth with some soap or Windex?

This mark may be a "smudge" mark that the computer may have suffered at some point if it got bumped up against something.

If this is a new computer...it's your call whether you want to return it or not (I would return it since I would want a perfect computer I just purchased).

If it is a used computer, and you got a good price on it...then keep it. If the price you paid for it was "not so special"...then get the refund, and keep your eye out for another one.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
no it's not growing but I'm scared it might. I think it might be a dodgy paint job inside where the black has come off...? is the black painted on?

It appears to be just as you said above. A lousy finish job. Return it at once and ask for a new machine.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinions :)

I was a bit shocked when i received this email from the seller on ebay:

"well we are glad that your imac as arrive and we are sorry that there is a problem with the screen the best thing you can do is take it to your nearest apple store as you have a 12 months world wide apple warranty with you imac and the with fix it or exchange it with another imac, sending it back to mus is pointless as we would do the same and take it to an apple store to be sorted out, once again we apologize for the inconvenience but you have bought a brand-new item and it is covered under warranty. if you need any further help please feel free to contact us..."

Should I leave negative feedback? I've never done that before. I read the warranty and it says something about not covering superficial things. I think it's lousy that the seller expects me to take it to a shop!

would kind of feedback would you leave?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All you can do now is take it to a local Apple store in your area and let them sort it out. I'm sure if it's brand new as the seller has said that Apple will exchange it for a new one.

As far as leaving negative feedback, that's up to you. The seller is being up front with his response stating that he would have to return it for a new one. That would probably cause you more difficulty having to wait for another machine from him and not knowing if the next one will be OK. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to ship it back.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'd take it to a store if I lived near one and had a car. There are absolutely no stores anywhere close :-(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that case, you're going to have to deal directly with Apple service by phone or on line. Your new Mac includes 90 days of free telephone support. Give Apple support a call and start the process. Or, if you want to deal with the seller again you can always insist he exchange the machine for a new one. Of course there is no guaranty that he will comply.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
What I did yesterday was send it back to the seller. I just received the following email which has knocked me funny as I don't take kindly to being called a liar...
this is Orville Mitchell managing director of duotech electronics, apple imac arrived this morning we took it straight to apple in Birmingham the tested it in front of me they run a full hardware and software diagnostic which show imac working perfectly we have a printout to prove it. there is also a print out of the operating which show the time and date of crashes and error,s that have occurred and there are which said there was. we have printout of all this information and signed by the apple engineer and the genius bar apple mac store in Birmingham city centre, the only problem the found was the miner scratch on the class fascia/screen which as now been replace. we are quite disappointed in you for lying about the computer crashing we will be sending back your imac in perfect working order and no mark later on today...

So my reply was:
Hi,

I'm very pleased it arrived. I have not once lied to you. When I
say the iMac crashed I mean it literally switched itself off without
any warning. This happened over 5 times in the space of 2 days.
At first I thought it might have been because I was running too
many applications but the other times it happened I was only
using 1 application. Why would it suddenly switch itself off
more than once? Please tell me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My advice is not to deal with the seller any longer. If you have further difficulties with your iMac, speak directly with Apple. Since it's a new machine the warranty is one year, however, free telephone support is only for 90 days unless you purchase Apple care. During the warranty period Apple will repair it should it become necessary - at no cost to you.

It seems the seller became very defensive and wrongly accused you of false statements. Post negative feedback about them on eBay, and if the seller is an authorized Apple dealer, send a letter to Apple informing them of what occurred.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah, I really don't want them to have my money after they called me a liar. Today I googled 'iMac switches itself off' and got lots of discussion threads. So many people have had the same problem. I think my best bet is to get a full refund and go somewhere people don't accuse me of lying when I tell them my problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.