Safari Wont Open Java Script Items

S

slates89

When trying to open Java script items on Safari 1.2.4 as well as other browsers, Camino 0.8.3 and IE. The link does not respond to double click, when cursor is placed over the item it is displayed on the bottom of the web page. I have plugins java 1.4.2 v 2.1.1 and 1.3.1 v 2.0 and java is enabled in all browsers. Cookies enabled as well. This does not happen when using an AOL browser, but would like to use the Mozilla based ones. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never had that problem so far with OSX. What version of OSX are you running just in case I stumble upon something?

OP
S

slates89

dtravis7 said:
I have never had that problem so far with OSX. What version of OSX are you running just in case I stumble upon something?

Running os x 10.8.3 was there before i upgraded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have seen rare instances where some JavaScript links just plain won't work on a Mac...period. What site are you trying to access a link on? AOL's browser is much different than say IE or Safari and handles things like this alot differently. Java based apps and links must be specially coded to work with AOL's browser, which is why you sometimes see things like "AOL users click here" or something like that.
One of the clients I support at my job is an online college whose site is loaded with JavaScript. Most of their pages are poorly coded and are nothing but headaches to Mac users. Usually though using the Netscape 7.x browser clears things up for Mac users on the online college. Have you tried using Netscape? It may help as it seems to handle JavaScript and Java plugin items better than any other browser I have seen on the Mac.

OP
S

slates89

D3v1L80Y said:
I have seen rare instances where some JavaScript links just plain won't work on a Mac...period. What site are you trying to access a link on? AOL's browser is much different than say IE or Safari and handles things like this alot differently. Java based apps and links must be specially coded to work with AOL's browser, which is why you sometimes see things like "AOL users click here" or something like that.
One of the clients I support at my job is an online college whose site is loaded with JavaScript. Most of their pages are poorly coded and are nothing but headaches to Mac users. Usually though using the Netscape 7.x browser clears things up for Mac users on the online college. Have you tried using Netscape? It may help as it seems to handle JavaScript and Java plugin items better than any other browser I have seen on the Mac.

I'm trying to access the TrackPass at nascar.com on my 17" flat panel G4 833 mhz. System requirements are, osx 10.3 , Java 1.4.2 and Real Player which I have. I can access the link from my wifes PowerBook, which has 10.3.8 installed, Java 1.4.2, on Safari. So its not the site. Was happening on before I updated to 10.3 on other java script links. ie: Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, and other numerous sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
slates89 said:
I'm trying to access the TrackPass at nascar.com on my 17" flat panel G4 833 mhz. System requirements are, osx 10.3 , Java 1.4.2 and Real Player which I have. I can access the link from my wifes PowerBook, which has 10.3.8 installed, Java 1.4.2, on Safari. So its not the site. Was happening on before I updated to 10.3 on other java script links. ie: Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, and other numerous sites.

And just to be sure to cover everything, under the "Security" section of your Safari Prefs...you do have the boxes for 'Enable Java', 'Enable JavaScript' checked? You should, in the off chance that you don't. If you still can't access it, try clearing your Safari cache and cookies. If that doesn't help, try repairing permissions or running another disk utility program like MacJanitor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.