• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Orange UK to get the iPhone

Reaction score
What Mobile are reporting that Orange UK are to start selling the iPhone.
And to confirm it, there is a link to the Orange UK pre-registration page (use this link).

I moved to O2 in July as Orange denied they were getting the iPhone when I asked in June. I'd heard the rumour then and had hung on to the end of my contract before moving. Oh well.

I did notice that there was a thread about T-Mobile giving iPhones to customers who wanted to leave, but seeing as they plan to merge with Orange it does a little creedence to that story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83 GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS 10.6.1
Interseting. I've been thinking about getting an iphone, but didn't want to move from my comfy payg orange number.

Reaction score
Yeah, Vodafone are also getting it. I think it's a good thing. I'm hoping they come out with some competetive price plans. I want an iPhone but see no point having it on pay as you go (because of data charges etc) and the minimum o2 contract is still more calls and texts than I would use.

Reaction score
Yep, Company I used to work for are currently road testing iPhones on both networks, so they can check for any optimisation needed. Got a call Friday asking where they could get a cost effective mac so they could develop the software necesary for the phone!

Reaction score
I just looked on the Swiss Orange 3GS website, their minimum contract works out about £25 per month and has a 1gb usage allowance. That would be perfect for people like me, who don't necessarily need an unlimited plan (especially as I'm around wi-fi almost all day every day). I hope Orange carry this plan over when they launch it in the UK.

Reaction score
I am currently on orange, i wonder how much extra its going to cost for an iphone? My friend has iphone he complains he gets to many minutes and not enough texts, i suppose thats good for some of us :)

Reaction score
^Yeah, o2 seem to have priced their iphone contracts to suit business people and not so much the casual user. Fingers crossed Orange & Vodafone aren't so ignorant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz intel core duo; 4GB ram; 1920x1200 HD display;GeForce 9400
orange will offer ridiculousy bad coverage so i would still pay that extra amount to go with O2.

my current phone drops coverage with orange in the city centre :(

Reaction score
^Orange are supposedly the largest network in the UK, are you sure it's not your phone?

Well it's been announced today, iPhone 3GS is coming to Orange on November 10th. Fingers crossed for a more competitive price plan. Although from reading the article it doesn't look likely. I'll buy an iPhone if the contract is between £25 and £30. Otherwise I'll stick with my bog standard phone and iPod classic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", iPhone 4
I had the original iPhone which I used with my UK Orange sim card for ages. Worked fine... I'd better not say how I did it but I'm sure you know. At the time you could just walk into the Apple Store cough up £270 and walk out with an iPhone without having to sign a contract. Only problem was, I nmoved house and Orange coverage is really bad on my road. So I got a Vodafone SIM. It worked fine on that network too, only problem was that Vodafone don't support EDGE which is the fastest data on the original iPhone.

O2 finally got me though, I now have a 3GS on an expensive O2 24 month contract. I must be stupid, but once you get an iPhone you can never go back to a Nokia or anything else.

Reaction score
iPhone next year probably will follow suit. As of today the 3Gs doesn't have it. Will most likely need the hardware to support it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
I am on Vodafone so looking forward to getting a 3Gs on Vodafone - but I cant help wonder if a new 4G or similar phone will be coming out in June next year and will only be available on O2?

Reaction score
I am on Vodafone so looking forward to getting a 3Gs on Vodafone - but I cant help wonder if a new 4G or similar phone will be coming out in June next year and will only be available on O2?

Does the o2 network even support 4g? Also, I'm pretty sure the end of the exclusivity contract with Apple and Orange applies to current and future models. I should be getting my Orange iPhone next week :D!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.