Enabling both airpot and ethernet port

Reaction score
I want to use my airport for internet connection and the ethernet port for local connection (e.g. afp, multimedia streaming, etc) using cross cable.

The issue that I'm having right now is if I plug in the ethernet cable I can't connect to the internet, I can connect to the other computer fine. It seems the airport is confused which connection to be used or the network controller is defaulting ethernet port to access the internet, which is not what I want.

Is there a way to tell the network controller or add a static routing to use airport for all internet connections and to use ethernet port (through cross cable) for all local connections?

Much thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The issue that I'm having right now is if I plug in the ethernet cable I can't connect to the internet, I can connect to the other computer fine. It seems the airport is confused which connection to be used or the network controller is defaulting ethernet port to access the internet, which is not what I want.

If you have an ethernet cable hooked up to your computer...you should be able to do all networking connections simultaneously...internet, connect to other computers, connect to peripheral devices.

Troubleshoot your ethernet settings...and everything should be fine. Manually turn off Airport as well...in case it isn't turned off already & may be confusing the ethernet settings.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
You cannot be using both connections at once, it can connect them both but traffic coming from the same source will only come thru either the airport or the ethernet at one time.

Unless someone else correct me but i've tried this and it hasn't worked. Its usually one or the other, only way i've used 2 ethernet connections was with an EVGA board on my pc using special software designed for using multiple connections at once.

Now its different if your sharing your connection from the machine you want to use both.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I haven't tried internet sharing thing yet. I'll do that and see if it works

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.