Intel iMac G5 20'' - Cant boot/install from external USB drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Intel iMac 2.16GHz 20'' - Cant boot/install from external USB drive

Hi guys,

I inherited a Intel iMac G5 20'', with 10.4.11 on it. It has some problems though.

I have a Tiger Install DVD and I really want Leopard nstalled so I can get BootCamp. However, pressing down the OPTION or OPTION+ALT buttons dont do anything, the computer just continues to boot the normal OS and I arrive at the boot screen.

The disk was a friends of mine and he took it back. I made a disk image however, so I can keep trying. I formatted and installed the 10.5 Install files, as per several directions I found on various sites. When I restart the computer with the USB external containing the 10.5 install plugged in, while pressing OPTION or OPTION+APPLE/ALT, again NUTHING HAPPENS and the computer just continues onto the login screen.

I've had trouble with this specific feature for a while now. Is there some reason my computer has the boot option ability disabled? If that is not a factor, then whats wrong with it???

Im trying to make the jump from Windows. I like the Mac I have, but have invested thousands in software over the years so I need to use Windows some times. In addition to that, I like to play the occasional MMORPG, without which I cannot survive. There are none for the Mac.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi... you're my only hope!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hi guys,

I inherited a Intel iMac G5 20''

That computer doesn't exist. Either you have an Intel iMac or a G5 iMac. It's impossible for it to be both.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hi guys,

The disk was a friends of mine and he took it back. I made a disk image however, so I can keep trying. ...

You'll need to purchase your own copy of Leopard or Snow Leopard.

We follow the laws, including copyrights and software EULAs on this forum. So, the discussion of how to install what amounts to illegitimate software would be outside what is allowed here.

Please see our Community Guidelines:
Respect copyrights and the law.
Don’t discuss or conduct content theft or any other illegal activity. Period. We follow U.S. law on the forums, so just because something might be legal in your country doesn’t mean it will be allowed here. If you’re ever in doubt, contact one of the moderators before you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.