Help Networking W/ Windows PC and Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Could someone walk me through setting up a home network between my Powerbook and Win PC. We have one wireless router/modem connected by ethernet to the pc. I have no idea what I need to do settings wise on both the mac and PC. Thanks!

M

meltbanana314

Your PowerBook should automatically detect the wireless network.

If not, go into the system prefs, (on the PowerBook) click network, select AirPort, click configure and enter all the setup information.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
it detects the wireless network for internet, but where do I go to share files w/ the Windows computer and printers and stuff. What needs to be set up on the Win computer? What needs to be set up for that on the mac? I really have no idea abt, this stuff. I've never set up any sort of network before, of any type. Where do I get the info for setup information that you say I should enter?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
on the PC, go to the folders in which you want to share, right-click then properties then sharing. click share this folder

sharing.jpg

you can share out you whole c drive but i wouldnt for security reasons.

this is what you network neighborhood should look like.

explorer.jpg

when you click on your mac, it will ask you for your username and password. simply enter it and you can explore anything that that user can access.

on the mac, open a finder window. click network. there should be a server icon, wait a minute and your PC should show up.

finder.jpg

mine asks me to do this

mount.jpg

after you select the folder to share, it will be mounted in the finder window and on your desktop. you will be able to explore what ever is in the folders.

hope this helps

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'm afraid that my PC and Mac still aren't seeing each other. Do I need any other hardware beyond what I mentioned above (1 Westell Wireless Router, 1 PC (running Windows XP 2005 Media Edition) w/ no wireless card, connected to the router by ethernet, one 17" PB with airport)?

Pretty much the only thing I have set up is the router is connected to the PC via 1 ethernet cord, and the router is connected to the wall by another cord.

I have Verizon DSL and the router was one that they gave us.

The wireless internet connection does work.

As the PC doesn't have any built in Wireless, will it be able to recognize the PB? Is there Firewall settings that could be stopping it on the PC end? I have the crappy Windows Firewall and a Norton firewall up. I couldn't find anything selected that would seem to be blocking it.

As far as printer sharing, how will that work once I get this going? I have a couple scanners and printers all connected to the PC by USB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check this thread

it helped me.

i also noticed that the PC could not see teh iBook until the iBook could see the PC.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmm, it seems like I have everything set right according to that thread.... any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
are you using this?

i would check the router settings. then i would power everything down. power up the router then the PC then the PB and then try to connect to the PC from the PB.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. I'm using the Westell Versalink 327w. Here's a link to a pdf of it's specs:
http://www.westell.com/content/products/pdf/versalink.pdf

I took some pics of my network neighborhood and other relating messages on the PC when it crashed. So, I'm back on my mac which never crashes. As soon as I get in the mood to be stressed and boot up my PC again, I'll post those.

I have no idea where to go to look at the router settings. There is no utility to do that.

Thanks again for all your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i did a google search and i produced this. Link scroll down to basher13 and then click the link in the next post. it appears that you are not the only one with the problem. somewhere in those 2 links is the url to access your router settings. i wish i could help more but this is beyond what i know. hope this leads you in the right direction.

Dylan

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks a lot for the help FF24! You've done a lot of searching for me. I'll have to look around that link some, I glanced through it, but I think I may need to read through it for a little while to actually understand it, I'm not very good at reading posts where they use lots of abreviations for things I might not even know the full name for, lol. If I solve my problem, I'll drop a post here, if anybody else has ideas, please post them!

E

elleinnad23

firewall settings

Hello... I just ran into the same problem last night with a Windows XP machine. Here's what fixed mine after a couple of hours banging my head on the desk.

Open the Norton Internet Security. Click on Personal Firewall. There should be a tab for Networking. You can add IP addresses of computers that are allowed to connect to the pc. You may find that Windows firewall has something similar that needs to be changed also, but I hope this at least gets you started.

Best of luck!

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool, thanks for the advice. I'm out fo the house right now, but as soon as I get back I'll have to try that. I do have the Norton Personal Firewall up, as well as the windows firewall, thanks!

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, I've determined it's not a firewall issue. I temporarly shut down both the Windows and Norton Firewalls as well as the OS X firewall. The computers still can't see each other....

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NEVERMIND! I Fixed it! Yay! It works!Not sure what I did, but somewhere, I must have changed a setting because they can recognize each other now! I've mounted my drive to the desktop and everything seems to work fine! Ok, I'm done, but I'm really happy, this has been a major pain in the butt! Thanks again to everybody who helped, it's really appreciated.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, one problem, and one question.

First, the problem (and a bit of a ? too). If I have a printer connected to me PC by USB, and I have the PC on my network, can I print to it?

I went into the printer setup application, and was able to find the printer. I added the printer to the list (however, my exact model was not there, so I went "generic." I have printer sharing ON on the Mac.

When I print something, the message "Unable to connect to samba host, will retry in 60 seconds...Debug: 0%%EndPageSetup"

Then it turns to "Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED."

Second, the question. Do I have to go into the finder, then click on network, then click on the computer I want to share files with every time? Is there a way to get around having to do this?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.