MacBook freezing & restarting (Snow Leopard)

Reaction score
Ok, first off, I will admit I'm kind of a newbie with Macs, so bear with me!

Recently, about two weeks ago, I received a 'hand-me-down' black MacBook, which is about 3 years old, and in very good shape. (Well, technically). It was running Tiger, but since I'm going to be using this mainly within a law office and we need to make sure that all computers are compatible, I upgraded to Snow Leopard via the $29 upgrade disc - which we all know works.

The computer, when I received it, had not been reformatted, but all files were removed - except for applications and various settings. When I installed Snow Leopard, it did not reformat then either.

For a couple days, it worked fine - then started to randomly freeze (crash?) to the point where no button or cursor movement would do anything, except shutting down via the power button. (I think this is called a "kernel panic"?). It would also restart randomly.

For both the crashing and restarting, neither occurred during a specific application or anything like that. It did crash a few times immediately following being woken up from sleep, but it also crashed during other things, so those could've been coincidences.

I took it into my local Apple store, who sent it away to be fixed. Three days later it came back - with a replaced hard drive, battery, and case (the keyboard side) and installed with regular Leopard. Upon receiving it, I reinstalled Snow Leopard. It was also completely reformatted, nice and new. That was Thursday - it's Sunday now, and since maybe Friday evening, it has crashed maybe 3-4 times, and restarted itself once.

The Mac repair comes with its own temporary warranty, which is great, but I'd really love to avoid sending it back in for 3-5 days if at all possible.

I know the advice will probably direct me to take it back in, but I'm wondering if maybe there's something I can do, or check, myself to rectify this issue before having to do that. Or, at the very least, if there's something I can ask for them to look into specifically. (The hard drive and battery are obviously ruled out).

If this is indeed a "kernel panic", it does apparently happen sometimes, so as far as I understand, it's not always a hardware issue. I'm also not sure how frequently this happens with Macs, so whether this falls into the realm of 'slight annoyance' or 'definitely bad', I couldn't say. The frequency has gone down significantly since going in for repairs - that much I know. Before, it was 4-5 times a DAY, sometimes repeatedly in a row.

So my question, I guess, is - is there any advice that can be given, or knowledge passed on, aside from "take it back to the Apple store"? Or is that basically the only thing I should be doing at this point?

Oh, and the specs are:

2 GHz Intel Core Duo
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
120 GB Hard Drive
Snow Leopard

All of the hardware is original - nothing has been added. (Except for the Apple replacements).

Any advice, tips, or knowledge would be appreciated. Thank you! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.