Energy preferences. The option I can't find?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.6.1, 2.53ghz Intel 2 Duo Core, 4GB Ram 1067MHz DDR3, 250gb HDD
This is my first macbook and I am impressed to say the least. The one thing that bothers me is that when I close the screen, the computer goes into sleep mode.

After browsing the energy preferences there seems to be no way to change this.

I would like to be able to close the screen on my macbook pro and have the notebook still running (ie torrent programs running in the background while saving the screen and darkening my room so I can sleep more soundly)

Thanks,

Mike
MP Consultation

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info brother! I build computers for a living but I am beyond impressed with my mac book for its usability, portability and battery life.

The graphics and speed are not too shabby either

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would like to be able to close the screen on my macbook pro and have the notebook still running (ie torrent programs running in the background while saving the screen and darkening my room so I can sleep more soundly)

If "InsomniaX" doesn't do the job for you...you could always go the low tech route...leaving your MacBook's display open and:

- covering the display with a t-shirt
- lay a piece of cardboard over the screen to block the light
- put your laptop in another room other than your bedroom (assuming where you live has more than one room)

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its just this room and the kitchen, Studio apartment. If that app doesn't work, I'll just turn the brightness all the way down. Don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Glad I could help and be followed up with a bit of sit down comedy :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No Soup For You!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
you want bread?.... bread extra!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I would think twice about using InsomniaX or similar programs.

The computer is designed to go to sleep when shut to protect it while you're transporting it. If you install a hack like InsomniaX and forget to manually put it to sleep, the hard disk or other components could be damaged by shock, or the computer could overheat in a bag. It is far, far too easy to forget to do this.

If you want it to stay awake at night, just dim the screen all the way.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol Nick. I saw that comment before you edited it. I am a full time college student trying to get my side business up and running. So far my profit margins aren't too shabby ;)

Reaction score
Ummm, why would you darken the display when you can just go to System Preferences and adjust your display sleep settings, which are separate from your computer sleep settings? With your display asleep, everything going on in the background will keep running as long as you have the computer open, even if the display is dark.

To do this, go into System Preferences and click on Energy Settings. For Computer Sleep, set it on Never. That way it will only go to sleep when you tell it to or when you close the display.

Set the display to 15 mins or whatever, and if you leave the computer inactive for that long, the display alone will go to sleep and darken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Be warned about leaving your macbook powered on while it is closed. It can get dangerously hot and you could end up ruining it.

Go with some of the other suggestions such as putting something over the screen, dimming the brightness, or just put the computer out of your room when you want to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ummm, why would you darken the display when you can just go to System Preferences and adjust your display sleep settings, which are separate from your computer sleep settings?

My thoughts exactly. That's how I have mine set. Wondering if that works for the OP. ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I just set up active corners in expose to have one corner sleep display then when ever I want lights out just move cursor to that corner and done !

Clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.