Will the hard case scratch the body itself?

Reaction score

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
No but the dust and dirt that collects underneath it will. ^-^" Unless you work in a very clean environment where it won't collect then you don't have to worry about that.

Just remove it every week or so and clean it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
huh, insteresting
how would dust scratch metal?

It's very small particles that rub against the metal that causes the scratching.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When they installed the hard case, the lock click sound was extremely loud. I was wondering will that scratch my macbook during installation? There are few snaps at the side, could they possibly scratch the macbook?

Thanks.

I have this case on my MBP...and I think that as long as you install it carefully you should be fine.

By "installed carefully" I mean flexing the case a bit as you install it to minimize the friction between the plastic retaining tabs & the exterior of the laptop.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I have this case on my MBP...and I think that as long as you install it carefully you should be fine.

By "installed carefully" I mean flexing the case a bit as you install it to minimize the friction between the plastic retaining tabs & the exterior of the laptop.

HTH,

- Nick

Did you have the problem that has scratch caused by dirt and dust mentioned by CrimsonRequiem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
huh, insteresting
how would dust scratch metal?

how does sand blasting make metal disappear?:D
The macs are not made of titanium or something, it's light aluminum which could be scratched with your nail if you wanted to(it's finish).
The cover almost always will leave little scratch(not really a scratch, more like wear from it staying in contact constantly) areas around the corner of the macbook where it clips on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
After getting my case I tend to clean it about once a month and it seems to be doing fine.

I live by the beach and tend to frequent it (not with my MBP) but when I come home sometimes I get sand on the table and place it down on it and it sometimes can get into the case. So thats why I am very careful about cleaning it so it doesn't get any dirt or sand in between the case and just scratch the heck out of it.

(Sorry for copying nick)
HTH

later

OP
C
Reaction score
how does sand blasting make metal disappear?:D
The macs are not made of titanium or something, it's light aluminum which could be scratched with your nail if you wanted to(it's finish).
The cover almost always will leave little scratch(not really a scratch, more like wear from it staying in contact constantly) areas around the corner of the macbook where it clips on.

The aluminum is extremely strong. I don't think you could scratch it with your nail. I remember once in the apple store, one of their agent showed it to me of how strong it is. I also tried it too, We even use a pen's plastic body to scratch it really hard( I mean it), still unable to scratch it with mark.

I noticed amazon has some review about the dust/dirt stuck between the case and the macbook caused scratch. I noticed those reviews only exist in the old macbook, and they all refer to "plastic side of macbook", which they were talking about the old plastic macbook. I didn't see any related review in the new macbook, which is the aluminum one. Not sure if this problem exist in the case of new macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I have a speck hard shell case on my macbook pro unibody and i'm a mechanic and take it to work everyday. My environment is very very dirty and I am yet to have any scratches on the body of my uMBP. I take the case off every 1-2 weeks and clean it with the cloth it came with and then put the case back on. I'm going on 5 months without a scratch. Its a good investment.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you have the problem that has scratch caused by dirt and dust mentioned by CrimsonRequiem?

I have not had any problems thus far...but then I only use my laptop at home...and maybe different environments have different dust & dirt compositions.

I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to remove the case every now & then to clean out dirt that may accumulate underneath the case...I just haven't seen much of a buildup thus far in my situation.

I have also not removed my Speck case since I installed it...and that's probably been 2-3 months...and I have no plans on removing it & cleaning things anytime soon.;)

As far as this statement:

The aluminum is extremely strong. I don't think you could scratch it with your nail. I remember once in the apple store, one of their agent showed it to me of how strong it is. I also tried it too, We even use a pen's plastic body to scratch it really hard( I mean it), still unable to scratch it with mark.

We may be talking about some different situations here. There are the older MacBooks/MacBook Pros that have the older style aluminum case/enclosure...and then there's the newer "Unibody" design.

I'm pretty sure with my older MacBook Pro...that I could pretty easily scratch or dent the Aluminum housing (maybe even with my finger nail, but I'm certainly NOT going to try it!;) )...which is the very reason why I purchased & installed the Speck case in the first place. The newer "Unibody" designed MacBooks may be tougher to scratch.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please delete, duplicate post.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure with my older MacBook Pro...that I could pretty easily scratch or dent the Aluminum housing (maybe even with my finger nail, but I'm certainly NOT going to try it!;) )...which is the very reason why I purchased & installed the Speck case in the first place. The newer "Unibody" designed MacBooks may be tougher to scratch.

- Nick

If on the older MBP, even finger nail could scratch it, then you might notice the snaps on the hard case could scratch it too. Those snaps are even harder.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If on the older MBP, even finger nail could scratch it, then you might notice the snaps on the hard case could scratch it too. Those snaps are even harder.

That's why I suggested in my earlier post to gently "flex" the Speck case as you install it...in order to reduce the pressure those plastic tabs may put on the case.

But the bottom line is...whether a fingernail can or cannot scratch the aluminum case...you're purchasing & installing the Speck case because there most definitely are things out "in the world" that WILL scratch or dent your MacBook's exterior!!!:(

So let's not focus on this "fingernail" scratching issue!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.