G5 Randomly Powers Down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, 250GB Hard Drive, 4GB RAM, GeForce FX5200, iPhone 3G 8GB
I bought a used PowerMac G5 about a month and a half ago and in the last week, the system has started turning itself off. I tried searching for a solution on the forum and found nothing that was similar to my problem. I searched the web and found a few random issues. I tried reseting the PRAM and it seems to help for a few hours, then it turns off. If I turn the system back on without a reset, it will last about 10 minutes or so. Is there a part I have to replace or is this a major issue that is not fixable? I have the dual 2.0Ghz G5 which I believe is the late 2004 model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Trust you received the system restore discs with the machine as it sounds like you have a serious hardware/heating problem.

If so pop in disc one, reboot and hold down the option key, and go to Apple Hardware Test and run the full test program. If you do not have the discs, give Apple a ring and see if you can purchase a replacement set. Have handy the model, processor size and serial number

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Building on what Harry mentioned about a possible "heating" problem...what are your PowerMac G5's fans doing?

Are they:

- on "full blast" (fans running very loudly)
- "normal" (for your computer)
- or no fan sound at all?

Since you do get 10 minutes of runtime before it shuts down...download this program:

Temperature Monitor: Description

And launch it on startup. Watch the temperature readings to see if they increase greatly during the 10 minutes your G5 will run.

Share with us the temp readings (min & max, from start to shutdown) so we can verify if they are "abnormal" or not.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, 250GB Hard Drive, 4GB RAM, GeForce FX5200, iPhone 3G 8GB
The fans sound normal, light hum and every once and a while I'll hear the fans rev up, but it seems to be normal, like if I'm loading a program or something. I downloaded the program and I will post results when I'm finished.

As for the Apple Hardware Test, I will contact Apple about getting this because I no longer have the discs.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had the system on for about an hour now and the highest the temperature has gotten is 46.5C. I will post the boot temperature tomorrow morning.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had the system on for about an hour now and the highest the temperature has gotten is 46.5C. I will post the boot temperature tomorrow morning.

46.5C is not overly high. You said previously that you only get 10 minutes before it shuts down...sounds like you got at least 60 minutes this time.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah it's random. Once thing I read online was to plug it directly into the wall instead of the power surge protector. Said something about the tower may not be getting enough power. So far so good. My temp is hovering around 43C right now, only hits 45/46C when I'm doing a lot on the system. Definitely by now it would have turned off so we'll see. I'm not going to hold my breath.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah it's random. Once thing I read online was to plug it directly into the wall instead of the power surge protector. Said something about the tower may not be getting enough power. So far so good. My temp is hovering around 43C right now, only hits 45/46C when I'm doing a lot on the system. Definitely by now it would have turned off so we'll see. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Well I guess the whole surge protector idea may make some sense...but then that means that your surge protector is faulty...which of course is better than your G5 being busted!:)

Again, good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Download and install a widget called iStat Pro which will keep an eye on all those temperature and usage details. Try it and if you like it, and sure you will, remember it is donationware and the developer would appreciate say $5-10 for his work:-

iStat pro, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My temperature upon boot was 81F for cpu A and 76F for cpu B. My computer didn't crash yesterday and I used it for about four hours during the Cowboys game. The highest temperature it reached was 115F for both processors and that was right before I shut down and it seemed to be hovering in that area most of the night.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My temperature upon boot was 81F for cpu A and 76F for cpu B. My computer didn't crash yesterday and I used it for about four hours during the Cowboys game. The highest temperature it reached was 115F for both processors and that was right before I shut down and it seemed to be hovering in that area most of the night.

Sounds like things are running better without the surge protector. Now if you really wanted to abuse yourself...you could plug your G5 back into the surge protector & see if the computer powers down!;)

Hopefully things have stabilized,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured I would continue to update this thread for anyone else who may have a similar problem. So I think I've determined that it is not an overheat issue because I started shutting down my PowerMac when I went to work instead of putting it to sleep. The other day, I came home from work and when I turned on the PowerMac, less than five seconds later it turned off. I tried this three times and the same thing happened. I reset the SMU or VMU, whatever that button is and it worked fine.

So I started playing back everything in my head since I got this computer a few months back. For the first month/month and a half, I never had a problem. I would play video games on it for hours at a time and no overheating, no shut offs. Then the random power downs started. What did I do differently?

Well after going over everything, I determined the only thing I changed was from my Apple keyboard to a Microsoft keyboard. I did this because the cord was longer and easier for me to have the keyboard at longer lengths from the tower (obviously). Well since I've used this keyboard, I've had the power down issues. Four days ago, I switched back to the apple keyboard and I have not had one issue. This is probably the longest the system has gone without a crash since I started having the issue. Could this be the problem or coincidence?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is another update, so far so good. Have yet to have a shut down since going back to Apple keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds very much like you have got on top of it, Kevinc5680. Good job!

Reaction score
Faulty surge protector

Yes! - I had problems startup problems with my G5 tower. I unplugged it from my old APC 350 surge protector/battery backup - plugged it into the wall - and now it starts up fine ...(so far). Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Yes! - I had problems startup problems with my G5 tower. I unplugged it from my old APC 350 surge protector/battery backup - plugged it into the wall - and now it starts up fine ...(so far). Thanks for the tip!
Opps, sorry I spoke too soon - can't blame the surge protector.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did it go this long without a problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.