Looking to purchase a power mac

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have the early 2008 model 2.4 ghz macbook pro with, hard drive upgrade, ram upgrade with snow leopard. its a great computer, real fast and all. but i want to have a desktop rather than using my macbook pro at home, cause its a pain in the *** too always hook everything back up lol, with the moniter, my external, than with the usb and speakers, ( i can be a bit lazy) but i'm looking at the power macs, looking at the cheaper models since i can't afford the 2.5gigs and etc. how is the dual 1.6 or duel 1.8, if i can wait a little i can possibly hold off and get dual 2.0. and as i get more money i'll upgrade more ram, and bigger hard drive. even at 1.6 or 1.8 will it be fast? similar to my macbook pro? i saw one on ebay with a single 1.6 processor, my friend has 2 1.8ghz processor can those be installed? thanks in advance

edit, there not dual core processors but 2 of em. just to clarify but i 'm sure you guys new

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion give the 1.6 and 1.8 models a miss as they were the first of the G5's and had cooling and logic board problems. And no G5 will be as fast as your Intel MBP.

Get the message they are Dual processors, and a 2.0GHz model, of which there are three, would serve you better if you are not in a position to save up for a Mac Pro. A Mac Pro would be the better option.

OP
N
Reaction score
not even, the 2.3 or 2.5 models will be as fast as my intell based laptop? with the 2 processors? hmm although i just need a nice desktop, i can't spend money to buy a new mac pro since thats 2500 right off the bat, or even a imac which is over 1k. 500 is where i'm looking at and i don't want a windows based computer

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
not even, the 2.3 or 2.5 models will be as fast as my intell based laptop? with the 2 processors? hmm although i just need a nice desktop, i can't spend money to buy a new mac pro since thats 2500 right off the bat, or even a imac which is over 1k. 500 is where i'm looking at and i don't want a windows based computer

If you want or need a desktop, and your budget is $500...then you need to be realistic about the performance you get from it.

I feel that the G5 desktops are very decent computers...and are certainly still very capable computers! Like Harry said...a G5 will not be as fast as your Macbook Pro...you didn't mention what you do with the computer..but it should be able to handle most tasks just fine.

As far as the processors. Your MacBook Pro has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor...what do you think that the word "Duo" means...it means TWO processors or cores. And the dual processor G5 has two processors. But you can't do a direct comparison between the two machines (G5 & Intel) because they are different CPU's, different CPU designs, and different processor speeds.

But my main point is your comparison is two vs. two CPU's...not one vs. two.

I would say if you really need a desktop, and your budget is $500, then get a dual processor G5 (or a G5 iMac). Also remember that OS 10.5.8 will most likely be the newest OS you will be able to install on a G5.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.