Upgrade 180Gb Hard drive to 500 Gb Hard drive Utilize USB Docking Station

Reaction score
Hello-
So I am about to undergo my first hard drive transfer, big day lies ahead!

Currently I have a Macbook 15' purchased in the fall of 2008.
I have a 160 (shoot i put 180Gb in the title) Gb hard drive.

I am looking to upgrade to the Western Digital WD5000BEVT Scorpio Blue 500GB 2.5 SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive:
I am going with the 5400 rpm over say for example the seagate that runs at 7200 rpm in an attempt to reduce heat. From what I have read Mac does not recommend installing anything over 250Gb because of heating issues. It is my understanding though that there are not problems with the 500 GB, rather Mac is taking a safe stance. Correct?

Also I would like to transfer all of my files as well as my operating system from my current 160 gb hard drive to my new 500 gb hard drive. I am looking to utilize the Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station. From my understanding, I will be able to upload all of my files, programs (itunes, iphoto, idvd, etc) through this method without experiencing any problems. I then will be able to utilize my old hard drive as essentially an external hard drive to back up my files (in case of a crash). Does this sound reasonable? Does anyone have any experience with this type of transfer / extended use? (Also theoretically, if i had problems, I could swap my old hd (160) into the computer and still have the mac warranty in full effect).

Since I am trying to learn what is necessary to make this transition as smooth as is conceivably possible, any recommendations / insight is greatly appreciated.

From what I am reading this does not sound too difficult, but then again I am as novice as novice can be, so I hope I am not overlooking anything. Also any opinions as to whether this is a solid move for my computer is welcomed. I am not set in stone with my actions.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day pacific and welcome to the forums.

Personally like SuperDuper as a cloner. Full version is $28, but the speed is tremendous over non registered version. Pop the new drive in the docking station and use SD to back up, takes about 2 1/2 hours to copy all files and the OS.

The place new drive in the machine, and install old drive as external backup. Weekly backup is just fine, using SD Smart BackUp option and takes about 16 minutes to do a full back up. You can download it as a trial version but unregistered is pretty slow:-

SuperDuper!

Reaction score
G'day pacific and welcome to the forums.

Personally like SuperDuper as a cloner. Full version is $30, but the speed is tremendous over non registered version. Pop the new drive in the docking station and use SD to back up, takes about 2 1/2 hours to copy all files and the OS.

The place new drive in the machine, and install old drive as external backup. Weekly backup is just fine, using SD Smart BackUp option and takes about 16 minutes to do a full back up.
Carbon Copy Cloner is now free. I use it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Carbon Copy Cloner is now free. I use it.

Carbon Copy Cloner is donation ware. Author (Bombich) has stated that the reason he uses ad banners is to offset the cost of development. I sent him a donation and think that everyone who uses this program often should do likewise. JMO.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I also have Carbon Copy Cloner and made the donation as all software designers are welcome to make a buck for their hard work. SD is simply better and faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
I would agree with harryb2448 SuperDuper has served me well for a long time..

You can use the free version to clone as much as you want.

Have used it for iBook G3's, iBook G4's, PowerBooks and my MacBook Pro for
Hard drive upgrades.. and has yet to let me down .. as much as I use
it I'm probably going to buy the full version.

Hope that helps

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank You all for the feedback. It is rather helpful. Here is a question I am still having: Is my Internal Hardrive an ATA or SATA? I am reading on the apple sight it is ATA but then have come across numerous forum posts that direct the buyer to an SATA compatible hard drive. Which will be appropriate? Can I use an SATA hard Drive if it I have an ATA? is there a way that I can tell what I have with certainty?
Thanks Again for the help
SATA ex. Obscured Clarity: 500GB MacBook Harddrive Upgrade for Under $100

ATA ex: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum - Apple Store (U.S.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.