External HD wont show on desktop after disconnected without ejecting

Reaction score
Earlier i was tryin to create a new folder on my external hard drive and my macbook spent ages sayin it was busy and not doin much, i went to force quit to find that finder wasnt respondin so i relaunched that and then lost all my icons on my desktop. i then tried to shut down the computer so i could remove the hard drive and then reboot, i managed this but now when i connect the hard drive it does not show up on the desktop and i cant access it, i have tried it on a windows machine and i can get into it but it wont happen on my mac....any ideas?

disk utility says there is an 'error:The underlying task reported failure on exit'
the log says Unable to read directory (Input/output error)
and log also says is now mounted however bak in utility it continues to say it is not mounted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Did you run Disk Utility from your install disc, and not from the HD itself?
You need to run from disc, and repair permissions on the external first, and then see if it will mount, but failing that you are probaly going to need to re-format it.

BTW, Doin and Happenin are supposed to have the letter G on the end, Bak has a C before the K. how long would it have taken to type 3 more letters?

OP
T
Reaction score
Kevriano, thank you so much for all your help Mac wise, not so much for your anal retentiveness especially as it was so half hearted. For example trying, saying and responding all have a G at the end and yet you failed to pick up on these. Also if we are going to be anal lets do it properly what about all those I’s written as i, what about can’t written as cant. You also failed to point out things like Finder, should have a capital letter, as it is a noun. That is all before we even reach the abomination of a last ‘paragraph.’
Then in the last paragraph what about the poor structure and punctuation? What about all the last paragraph’s ‘sentences’ starting without a capital letter? What about the atrocity of starting a sentence with an AND, an AND! Personally I think we are all doomed.

BTW I couldn’t find my use of ‘happenin’ anywhere and also I noticed that you started a sentence without a capital letter, naughty naughty!

Yet after all this I have still probably left out enough in either of my posts for you to pick out some hollow retort and by all means go ahead, write away but don’t worry I won’t be back to see if you have. I came here for Mac advice not English Grammar.

Smile! Your life isn’t that dull.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.