Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?

Reaction score
Hey, I'm trying to do a screen recording for a product review of fuzzmeasure pro I am doing. I'm kind of new to Mac - a while back I saw a program called iShowU HD which looked awesome and affordable - I figured when I bought a mac one day, that'd be the one I'd get, but now Camtasia is out too, and to complicate matters, I did a search and found there are at least 10 screen recording apps out there.

Any recommendations?

- Jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
If you have snow leopard - Quicktime X does screen recording pretty decently, and its free...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I like screen flow, just because it's also a movie editor too. You can do a lot of neat effects.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well for one thing, Screen flow and camtasia are very similar. Both are pretty easy to use and the interface is really clean and simple. The only difference is that camtasia is a lot more expensive. iShowUHD doesn't seem to work on Snow Leopard. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
Well for one thing, Screen flow and camtasia are very similar. Both are pretty easy to use and the interface is really clean and simple. The only difference is that camtasia is a lot more expensive. iShowUHD doesn't seem to work on Snow Leopard. >_>"
Camtasia for Mac is actually $99 through the end of the year. After that the price will be $149 Vs Screenflow for $99.

Camtasia is a terrific program with an incredible number of features and flexibility. I don't have any experience with Screenflow, but it does look like a nice program. I'd download the free trials of both programs and take them for a spin.

If you want something very basic, Techsmith the makers of Camtasia, offer a program called Jing. There's free version but Jing Pro which does MPEG-4/H.264 full motion video screen recordings as well is only $14.95/year.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Camtasia for Mac is actually $99 through the end of the year. After that the price will be $149 Vs Screenflow for $99.

Camtasia is a terrific program with an incredible number of features and flexibility. I don't have any experience with Screenflow, but it does look like a nice program. I'd download the free trials of both programs and take them for a spin.

If you want something very basic, Techsmith the makers of Camtasia, offer a program called Jing. There's free version but Jing Pro which does MPEG-4/H.264 full motion video screen recordings as well is only $14.95/year.

They went and ninja updated that on me. I just checked that this morning and it wasn't 99 dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
They went and ninja updated that on me. I just checked that this morning and it wasn't 99 dollars.
Maybe you saw the Windows version ($299 )? Camtasia for Mac has been $99 since August 25th when it was released. :)

Reaction score
If you have snow leopard - Quicktime X does screen recording pretty decently, and its free...
yes, but there is a big but! Quicktime X puts the movie into too large of a format to use to burn to a dvd, that is the problem i am now having after someone told me to upgrade to snow leopard...read my thread, upgrade to snowleopard or keep existing leopard. This is so aggrevating to me.:eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.