Device Removal Error

Reaction score
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem.

I made a rookie mistake and removed my external hard drive without unmounting it first, so now I keep getting the "Device Removal Error" message and the drive keeps ejecting itself then remounting.

Is there a way to fix this problem? Can someone help me please.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Restart the computer with the removable drive attached.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy response.

I've had this problem for several months now, and have restarted with the external drive several times, mind you that was with a complete shut down as opposed to a restart, yet the message keeps coming up. I have now done a restart as opposed to a complete restart and the message hasn't come up yet. Do you know if a restart versus a complete shutdown would make a difference.

Anyway thanks again for assisting so quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Shutting down would actually be the preferable, odd. With the disc external mounted open Disc Utility and run repair and verify permissions on the external drive. I guess if the problem doesn't re-appear then you are good to go.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Baggss,

Well it took a few days but the Device Removal Error came back up again, so I tried the advice you gave me and ran the Repair Disk function, but then noticed that the Verify Disk Permissions and the Repair Disk Permissions is greyed out, I'm unable to run them. I'm able to run Verify Disk and Repair Disk, which I did and they both came back saying the disk appears to be ok, but again I can't run the Verify and Repair Disk Permissions options.

I'm thinking this could be an indicator of a problem, any ideas on what may be wrong. Perhaps I don't have the disk setup properly?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.