Lost tracks through copy/paste...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.16 GHz Intel Core2Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.4.11 120GB Intel GMA 950 (2007)
Garageband - Lost tracks through copy/paste...

Hey there,

I decided to take a couple of tracks that I liked from one particular Garageband project and put them into their own individual projects so that I could work with them independently from the rest of the original project.

I figured the best way to do this would be to copy the track, close the current project, open a new project and paste the track. This worked, so I saved and closed the track. I went back to the original project to copy the next track and delete the one I had just successfully copied. Upon reopening the new project that I had saved with the copied track, the track was still there, but blank. The track itself, instead of the original name (Guitar.01, for example) simply said File Missing.

I managed to find the missing files in Trash. They have names like 'No Effects#28.aif'. I can't seem to 'plug them back in' to the Garageband project, nor do they play in iTunes or anything.

So my question is, how would I go about repairing and/or recovering tracks that were lost through this copy/paste method. Is that even possible?

I think I'll be upgrading to Leopard shortly anyway, and I'm assuming the Time Machine would clear the whole problem up, but I would really appreciate not losing valuable music in the meantime.

Hope I explained myself properly, and thank you all in advance for any time spent helping.

Cheers,
Robert

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.