Connected to router but no internet

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Tricky one this, my Mac Pro has stopped being able to connect to the internet for some reason, hopefully someone here can assist.

The Pro is connected to the router via ethernet, router automatically assigns it at ip address by DHCP of 192.168.2.4, its on the correct subnet mask etc too

I can transfer files to and from the Pro using my Macbook, my Macbook can surf the web as can my iphone, but the Pro just refuses to get internet traffic.

I have also tried using airport on the Pro, again it connects fine to the router, gets a valid ip address but just will not surf the web.

So i then tried a USB mobile broadband dongle in the Pro, same thing again, connects fine but just wont surf the web!

The pro can also ping the router no problem with no packets lost.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah meant to say, I have the firewall disabled on the Mac Pro

I also have Mac address filtering disabled on the router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Have you tried to ping a dns server outside of the router on the WAN side?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Hmmmm then its not that your not getting on the internet. Its for some reason not loading pages.. Do you go thru a router? Maybe some settings have changed but you also did say that you have another machine you can get on just fine.. hmm.. Have you tried to default your browser settings or tried a different browser?

Also how are your DNS settings? Do you need to manually input them because if you dont have any dns you won't load pages pretty simple. Normally its set to auto depending on your connection. You can always look at your macbooks dns under your network settings if they seem to be missing.

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No internet with both Safari and Firefox.

Internet works fine on a macbook with safari, works fine with an iphone and safari, and a pc with internet explorer.

Its just this one machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like dns to me then. I'm messing with my dns settings here and when I removed my DNS from my network pref's I could still ping outwards but I couldn't resolve any hosts (webpages).

Are you familiar with your DNS settings or network settings?

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am no networking guru by any means, but i can do enough to configure the router. I set it up initially and all computers including the Mac Pro could surf the web, something has changed to stop that even though settings on the Mac Pro and MacBook are identical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmm, under the DNS tab there are Ip addresses listed then I take it? As I speak under my dns tab I have 3 different IP addresses listed on it. When I remove them I lose my internet access even though I have a gateway. Your really making me think if that is not the cause of your problem.

It seems I can create the same problem but it isn't the problem your having :/

Are 2 dns numbers that are working for resolving hosts.

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes i have DNS settings as follows

dnssettings.png

One thing i notice though is they are black on the Macbook (working) and greyed out on the MacPro (not working)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Greyed out means that they are automatically obtained via the router. Black means its set to manual and has been manually entered. You could always try to add those 2 DNS servers I put up into your dns list and see if it works.

Also I see its 192.168.2.1, Usually home networks are either 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1 , was wondering if that was on purpose or if it was a typo.

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did try those DNS addresses, still no joy

Net1.jpg

Net2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm I'm really trying to get you going here. I'm gonna have to do some research or something here. And see if theres similar issues out there. I'll post back here when I find something or if someone else chimes in.

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have another theory. Maybe proxies have been turned on by accident. Under network settings then the proxies tab, should look something like this.

screenshot20090928at439.png

I've also been reading up on a few things where the preferences file just needs to be re-built.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist , is the directory and you could just rename it to
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist.bak or whatever you choose really and reboot. it'll rebuild all your system
preferences. you may be required to re-enter some preferences but seeing as your using a DHCP you should automatically get all your info
for network automatically , i've read on quite a few places that this has fixed the problem.

Also if that doesnt work. I see you have ethernet 1 and 2. Have you tried to switch the cable to the other port? or tried a different cable?

Hopefully one of these fixes your problem. I had it happen a few times on my iBook but all I did was reboot and it worked again. So its not as extreme as this.

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, no proxies configured.

I'll try renaming the preferences file this evening after work.

Thanks again.

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Deleted the file, rebooted, and....................still no Internet :-(

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried switching the ethernet cable to the other socket.................still no Internet

Tried a new cable (same one that works on the MacBook) in both of the macpro sockets and still no Internet

running out of ideas here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
I'm sorry, i have read through the thread and i guess i dont understand.. the macbook unable to resolves hosts is configured to obtain DNS automatically correct? If not switch it and reboot.

Sorry if this was stated already, i just for some reason could not decipher this thread :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry, i have read through the thread and i guess i dont understand.. the macbook unable to resolves hosts is configured to obtain DNS automatically correct? If not switch it and reboot.

Sorry if this was stated already, i just for some reason could not decipher this thread :p

Tried that already. He can ping outside his WAN port but cannot seem to resolve the host. We've been trying multiple things so far.

I was helping another in another thread and he scanned his mac for a virus and got an mp3 that was a virus. he removed it and it worked after that. I know its a longshot but you could try scanning you mac.

Did you powercycle your router ? Sometimes that is the case too.

If that doesnt work. can you hard wire to your internet connection and gain access to the internet?

OP
D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As stated previously even when hard wired, there is still no internet, but thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Any other suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.