dims automatically without me doing anything

Reaction score
Hi folks,

sorry if this question has been posted before, but my macbook dims automatically without me doing anything. I have to dim all the way down (F1) and dim all the way back up (f2) for it to work again, and then it does it again, until it works for a couple of hours. I don't know if it's a software or hardware issue, i've checked the the energy savings, etc. the guys at genius bar were as confused as i was, they said it might be the inverter board but they're not sure. however, i don't want to pay 100+ dollars for something they're not sure about (all three of them at different locations have said this...)

so i was wondering if anyone has encountered this before? if so, could you let me know what you think it is?

PS,

sometimes when i adjust the monitor and dims automatically as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hi, welcome to the forums.

I assume they tried resetting the SMC as well as the PRAM and NVRAM is this correct? Have you run the hardware test from the disk that came with your machine just to see if something comes up?

I haven't heard or read anything directly on point like what you are seeing. Have you tried disabling the automatic reduce brightness setting in Energy Saver? I assume you have done this but just checking. Also, what are your settings for putting your display to sleep?

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for posting!

no i haven't run the hardware test, and neither did they. i only got two disks from my mac, the installation 1 and 2. would the hardware test let me know if it's a hardware issue? and yes i've tried everything else that you've mentioned. i changed the energy settings all the time just to make sure it isn't that (and yes it's unchecked). however, i just (in the past few minutes) installed caffeine, and it hasn't dimmed so far, yet again, it does work for a few hours and then constantly dims again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
The hardware test has an 'extensive' test option that may uncover something. At the very least, it never hurts to give it a run. It should be on the second of your two install disks. If you restart your machine and hit the 'd' key when it reboots it will take you right to the test.

Also, out of curiosity, can you open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type the following command:

pmset -g

This will print out a list of your current energy settings. Post those here.

OP
S
Reaction score
ya the caffeine didn't work lol.

here's what came out

Active Profiles:
Battery Power -1*
AC Power -1
Currently in use:
sleep 0
sms 1
acwake 0
displaysleep 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
hibernatemode 3
halfdim 1
lidwake 1
ttyskeepawake 1
disksleep 10

thank you again for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything looks normal.

Try running the test and lets see where that leads.

OP
S
Reaction score
so i did the hardware test, and it said no errors found or something along those lines... interestingly enough, it did not dim at all during the whole testing process. if it is the inverter board will it show up in the hardware test?

thank you for your help wmprice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, during the test OSX isn't loaded so there is nothing to drive/manage your power settings. Essentially this is like a PC sitting at the BIOS screen where the fans run full speed because there is nothing to regulate the machine from your power configuration profile.

Since nothing came up during the test and you have reset all the usual suspects I would probably take the machine in being that we can't find anything in software/hardware that you can readily fix.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks again.

ya i'm gonna take it in four the FOUTH time hoping somone knows what's wrong with it lol.

i appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
and yes i've tried everything else that you've mentioned. i changed the energy settings all the time just to make sure it isn't that (and yes it's unchecked).

Maybe you are including the Display settings when you say "energy settings", and maybe not. But there is a similar check box in your Display Settings that could be causing this.
But I've never experienced or heard anyone else say anything about it occurring that frequently.

Please post the solution when you get this figured out.

OP
S
Reaction score
i will definitely post it up. it is extremly frustrating. not even 3 of the mac experts know what's wrong, they just tell that it's probably the inverter board, which makes me assume that it wouldn't be working if i'm doing a hardware test right? either way i want to exhaust all options before i fork up 140+ to try fixing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.