My Dock is all glitched up

Reaction score
Note: I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum...
anyways, here goes...

For some reason, I know I should not have done this, I downloaded an app to "colorize" my dock. Now, my dock looks really weird, and I am unsure of how to fix it. :(

any ideas? Here is a screen shot of the first problem.

uhoh.jpg

wmprice1240 helped me with this problem and it got rid of the gray bar..
but my dock still looks like this..

uhoh2.jpg

the dock itself looks really weird and is black instead of gray... can someone please help?
thanks! :)

(thanks so much for all the help wmprice1240!
I truly appreciate it. :D)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Easiest thing to do is from your home folder

/Users/youraccount/Library/Preferences/

Find the file

com.apple.dock.plist

delete this file.

You also need to restart the dock. You can do this from the Terminal application. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type the following command:

killall Dock

This will put your Dock back to it's original settings. You could also restart the machine if you aren't comfortable with the Terminal.

You can do all of the above from the Terminal as well

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
Type the following commands

rm ./Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist
killall Dock

OP
T
Reaction score
hm.... thanks for all your help :). but a few problems arose.

i did what you told me, but unfortunately, the dock is till reflective and black and not the normal dock. However, the gray box is gone when the dock is on the bottom which is good, but comes back when I put it on the side. =/

Do you know of anything else I should do?

thanks so much :)
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Easiest thing to do is from your home folder

/Users/youraccount/Library/Preferences/

Find the file

com.apple.dock.plist

delete this file.

You also need to restart the dock. You can do this from the Terminal application. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type the following command:

killall Dock

This will put your Dock back to it's original settings. You could also restart the machine if you aren't comfortable with the Terminal.

You can do all of the above from the Terminal as well

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
Type the following commands

rm ./Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist
killall Dock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Did you uninstall the app you had installed before?

I would recommend removing the app you installed and re-execute the above procedure. Also, try switching to a different background image to see what sort of effect you get. The dock tends to take on the hue/color around it.

The procedure you executed above returns the dock to the default state, basically as it comes 'out of the box' so I am not sure what are you expecting when you say 'normal' dock.

OP
T
Reaction score
hmm...i deleted the app and re did the process, and it still didnt work :(
i also changed the background, and the dock stayed black...

When i said normal dock, I was talking about the regular leopard "grey" dock.
here is a picture....
leopard2_future.jpg

that one is grey, and mine is black..
the grey one also has a "cross walk" separating the apps from the folders while the black one I have now removed it..

I am considering getting snow leopard soon..
do you think this will fix it?
Did you uninstall the app you had installed before?

I would recommend removing the app you installed and re-execute the above procedure. Also, try switching to a different background image to see what sort of effect you get. The dock tends to take on the hue/color around it.

The procedure you executed above returns the dock to the default state, basically as it comes 'out of the box' so I am not sure what are you expecting when you say 'normal' dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try this. Open

/Applications/Utilities/Terminal

Type the following:

defaults com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO
killall Dock

OP
T
Reaction score
hmm... I tried that, but it did not work.. :(

Here is another screenshot of what happens when another window comes close to the dock..

uhoh3.jpg

Try this. Open

/Applications/Utilities/Terminal

Type the following:

defaults com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO
killall Dock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your dock is no longer black and has returned to being 3D versus the 2D flat view you had before. What are you saying is the issue now?

It sounds like the application you installed modified quite a few of the internal default settings for the Dock. I would recommend getting the Secrets Preference Pane

Secrets

This allows you to set/modify any setting for the Dock exposed in the defaults system. You can tinker with this, trying different settings to get your dock back to where you want it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What is the name of the app you installed to make the changes?

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, my dock really isnt pure black, but it still is not "grey".........
=/

i will however try that secrets app.

thanks so much for all your help so far.
it is much appreciated. :)

Your dock is no longer black and has returned to being 3D versus the 2D flat view you had before. What are you saying is the issue now?

It sounds like the application you installed modified quite a few of the internal default settings for the Dock. I would recommend getting the Secrets Preference Pane

Secrets

This allows you to set/modify any setting for the Dock exposed in the defaults system. You can tinker with this, trying different settings to get your dock back to where you want it.

OP
T
Reaction score
oooh! There is something new!
when I am just looking at my desktop, the dock blends in with the background.

However, when I am using the internet or anything else, The dock still turns black.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.